No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisia closes Libya border following deadly IS attack on military barracks in border town

byMichel Cousins
March 8, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tunisia closes Libya border following deadly IS attack on military barracks in border town

The aftermath of the March IS attack in Ben Guerdane (Photo: social media)

By Houda Mzioudet.

Ben Guerdane clashes Photo of Tunisian military forces in Ben Guerdane today (Photo:  Radio Tataouine Facebook page)
Tunisian military forces in Ben Guerdane today (Photo: Radio Tataouine Facebook page)

Tunis, 7 March 2016:

Tunisian authorities closed both the Ras Jedir and Wazen-Dehiba border crossings with Libya until further notice. . . .[restrict]It followed attacks by militants linked to the so-called Islamic State (IS) on military barracks in the border town of Ben Guerdane early this morning. The fighting has left 53 dead so far. Of these, according to the Tunisian authorities, 35 were militants and 18 members of the security forces as well as civilians caught up in the battle.

According to eyewitness accounts to Tunisian media outlets, the militants took refuge in nearby houses and in the chaos a 12-year old girl was killed by a stray bullet.

A number of terrorist are reported to have been captured.

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

The fighting continued until the early afternoon, when the Tunisian army and police managed to re-establish order. The situation is now completely under control, according to Tunisian Ministry of Interior, with a curfew now in operation. Security forces are, however, on maximum alert in case there is another attack. They are now combing the area for any remaining terrorists who, it is thought, might try to escape across the border.

The Tunisian authorities have said that the entire border area is fully secured.

The unsettled town with high unemployment is known as centre for smuggling activities and smugglers are alleged to have “business” links with IS, helping smuggle its supporters across the border into Libya.

There are reports that the militants had crossed from Libya. According to Tripoli’s Rada (“deterrence”) forces, one of those killed in the fighting was a Tunisian who was an Islamic judge in Sabratha and who survived the US airstrike there.  He had then gone to Sirte before heading to Tunisia, it claimed. However, a Ben Guerdane local who wished to remain anonymous told the Libya Herald that the gunmen were mostly from Ben Guerdane itself and that it was likely they were members of sleeper cells who had coordinated with Tunisian IS militants based in Libya.

During the day, Tunisian forces found an arms cache in the area.

The Libyan government in Beida has condemned the Ben Guerdane attack. In a statement today, its expressed its support for the Tunisian people and authorities in the fight against terrorism and its readiness to “fully assist all countries to root out those criminals”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaTunisia

Related Posts

In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Serraj in Indonesia calls for Muslim world support; next stop Riyadh

Serraj in Indonesia calls for Muslim world support; next stop Riyadh

CBL denies printing LD 10 bn new banknotes to fight cash shortage

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.