No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New Gatrani and Majbri Presidency Council walkout leaves unity government selection in disarray; Serraj cancels visit to Munich

byMichel Cousins
May 6, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
New Gatrani and Majbri Presidency Council walkout leaves unity government selection in disarray; Serraj cancels visit to Munich

Faiez Serraj condemned the attack on PC member Fathi Majbari (Photo: Archives).

By Libya Herald reporter.

Fathi Majberi
Fathi Majbri (Photo: Social media)

13 February 2016:

Hopes of creating a national unity government by Monday were in disarray today as deputy prime . . .[restrict]minister-designate Fathi Majbri followed Ali Gatrani in again walking out of Presidency Council discussions, prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj cancelled his departure to the Munich Security Conference, and a number of members of the Libya Dialogue left Skhirat, deciding there was no point staying.

The House of Representatives is also reported to have abandoned its Monday meeting to debate the new government, reckoning that there was no chance of the Council now coming up with a list of ministers in time.

Majbri, who is since reported to have been persuaded to return, complained that Cyrenaica was not getting its fair share of top ministries. It was only getting defence, he said, accusing the west and south of the country of scheming to “marginalise and stifle Cyrenaica”, as he put it in a statement. It should get at least one other of the top five ministries, he said, these being interior, foreign affairs, economy and local government.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The other deputy PM-designate from the east, Gatrani, had already walked out of the Presidency Council, his third such departure, claiming that any government that emerged from the Council would be dead at birth, that there was no unity at all among the Council members and that it needed to be reduced to just three members, not nine.

Majberi and Gatrani represent to two main but divergent political tendencies in the east – respectively the federalists and those backing the Libyan army. Together they represent the majority of eastern public opinion, and without them there is little chance of any proposed government obtaining a majority in the House of Representatives.

Reports that Majbri had decided to return came too late to prevent Serraj abandoning his visit to Munich where he was supposed to meet with House of Representatives President Ageela Salah together with US Secretary of State John Kerry and EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini. Various members of the Libya Dialogue who were in Skhirat trying to help the Council surmount its divisions and choose a government meanwhile took the opposite view and decided that there was nothing further to be done at this point.

The lack of unity within the Presidency Council is increasingly raising questions among Libyans and international observers as to whether the proposed system is fatally flawed and will have to go. “How can it [the Council] unite the country when it is not united itself?” the head of one of Libya’s state institutions said to this newspaper yesterday. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali GatranifeaturedLibyaPresidency CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Leading elder shot at

Mohamed Dairi in Cairo for talks

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.