No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni dismisses high-profile information chief

byMichel Cousins
December 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Omar Al-Gawari
Omar Al-Gawari

Tripoli, 10 December 2015:

Following days of rumours and counter-rumours as to whether Omar Gawairi, the high-profile head of the . . .[restrict]Beida-based Information and Culture Administration was being replaced, the Thinni government today confirmed that it had relieved him of position and given the job to journalist Khaled Najem.

Gawairi had earlier said reports of his departure were “malicious rumours”. He has now wished his successor good luck, asking him to go and see him so he can formally hand over his functions. He also said on his Facebook page that he had received no formal letter from the government but had heard about it from Arish Said, Thinni’s director of foreign media. As for himself, he said he was going to Benghazi to join the supported forces backing Khalifa Hafter who are fighting against the various jihadist forces including the so-called Islamic State and Ansar Al-Sharia.

Reports first surfaced just over a week ago that Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni intended to remove Gawairi, who is from Misrata. They followed intense criticism of his attack on a new EU-supported news agency in the country, the Libya Cloud News Agency. He had allegedly said that any Libyans who worked for it were traitors. His statement provoked a strong public rebuke from the government which said that his views in no way represented its position.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Reports were circulating for much of yesterday that Thinni had finally made the decision to replace him with Najem who later in the day reportedly told colleague that he would be taking over. However, there were also reports yesterday that Thinni was worried about the implications of removing the last Misratan from his administration.

Gawairi earned himself something of combative reputation long before the Libya Cloud row with attacks on both Turkey and Tunisia, accusing the former of providing support to what he called “terrorist groups” in Libya. In the case of Tunisia,  he attacked it over its plans to reopen its consulate in Tripoli. He also claimed nine months ago that Libya had information that Islamist terrorists were planning to head to Europe disguised as refugees and that arms for use by terrorists had reached France along the illegal migrant route from Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaOmar Gawairi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tunisia reopens land border crossings with Libya

Hannibal Qaddafi seized, beaten and released in Lebanon

Hannibal Qaddafi seized, beaten and released in Lebanon

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.