No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Shouaib attacks GNC/HoR rival deal proposal

byMichel Cousins
December 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Shouaib attacks GNC/HoR rival deal proposal

Deputy HoR president Emhemed Shouaib clarifies what was agreed upon at the recent Cairo meeting (Archives).

By Libya Herald reporter.

Shouaib Tunis
HoR Deputy President Shouaib speaking in Tunis today (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tunis, 8 December 2015:

In a rare press conference, Emhemed Shouaib, the Deputy President of the House of Representatives . . .[restrict](HoR), added his voice to those criticising the proposal agreed in Tunis between a group of members from both the HoR and the General National Congress (GNC) to appoint a unity government and adopt an amended version of the 1963 constitution. While the HoR welcomed any peace moves, he said the Tunis agreement went against everything that had been achieved in the more than a year of the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue negotiations.

Speaking in the Tunisian capital today, he told the Libya Herald it was a deliberate attempt by “spoilers” to derail the Government of National Accord (GNA) and the Dialogue deal.

Under Saturday’s rival proposal, a committee of 10 members – five from the GNC and five from the HoR – would name a prime minister and two deputy prime ministers within 20 days of first meeting. They would also amend the 1963 constitution which would then be brought back into use.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

This too was condemned by Shouaib as itself unconstitutional. There was a Constitutional Drafting Assembly, he said. It had been democratically elected to draw up a new constitution. It was not for a committee from the HoR and the GNC to take over the job.

Indicating that the man leading the HoR team to the Tunis talks, Benghazi HoR member Ibrahim Amaish, had had some HoR authority to talk to the GNC team, Shouaib said that he had gone far further than he was supposed to.

Many members of the HoR have insisted that Amaish was not authorised to negotiate with the GNC. He, however, says he had approval from the HoR presidency, a statement which has been confirmed to this newspaper by an HoR official.

At today’s, press conference, Shouaib, who has headed the HoR team to the Libya Dialogue negotiations since they started, also indicated that the names of the other three members of the proposed Presidency Council – two more deputy prime ministers and a senior minister – would be named in the next few days, possibly as early as Thursday. That is when members of the Dialogue are due to meet with UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler in Tunis to finesse outstanding details of the deal ahead of Sunday’s international conference on Libya in Rome.

As to the formal authorisation of the GNA, it could not be delayed any longer, he said. It would be done at the latest within ten days.

Asked whether it would be able to go to Tripoli, he said that of that were not possible it would have to be based in another Libyan town or city. It would certainly not be based outside the country, he insisted. [/restrict]

Tags: Emhemed ShouaibfeaturedLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Ghariani praises Tunis agreement

Baghdadi "not in Sirte": source

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.