No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Europe and US blast GNC/HoR Tunis statement as wrecking move

byMichel Cousins
December 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 8 December 2015:

Saturday’s proposal by a group members from the House of Representatives and the General National . . .[restrict]Congress to appoint a national unity government has been condemned as a “last minute attempt to derail the UN driven process”. In a joint statement, ambassadors and special envoys from France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, US and EU also said that the agreement had been produced by a “very small” number of members from both bodies and the attempt would not succeed.

Moving to reassert the internationally-backed Libya Dialogue deal negotiated at Skhirat and the Government of National Accord produced by it, the ambassadors insisted that the deal was “the only way forward”. Sunday’s Rome conference on Libya, they added, would demonstrate the international community’s commitment to the country.

In a separate statement, the EU’s foreign affairs department reiterated its support for Kobler and the Skhirat deal.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Meanwhile UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler is to meet members of both the House of Representatives and the General National Congress who have been part of the Skhirat process on Thursday and Friday in Tunis in preparation for the Rome conference.

Under Saturday’s Tunis agreement, a 10-member committee from the HoR and GNC would appoint a prime minister and two deputy prime ministers (one from each house) and reintroduce an amended version of the 1963 Libyan constitution.

From the outset, the deal, which has the backing of the GNC leadership as well as a group of HoR members, has been widely seen both within Libya and internationally as a wrecking procedure. It has drawn some support – Libya’s Muslim Brotherhood have issued a statement endorsing it and Tunisian president Baji Caid Essebsi who met the two delegations on Sunday evening also initially appeared to commend it. However, it has come under attack from many HoR members and even members of the GNC now oppose it.

Questions are being asked as to its seriousness or feasibility. Observers point out the 1963 constitution was designed for a constitutional monarchy. When the point was put on Sunday by the Libya Herald to Awad Abdul Saddeq, the deputy GNC president who headed the GNC team in Tunis, he said that such matters would be decided by the proposed committee.

Observers also question, if the 1963 constitution were reintroduced, which body would be Libya’s parliament – the HoR or the GNC – and what would be done about security to ensure the government could operate in Tripoli. They also point out that there would be every likelihood of names for the PM and deputies chosen by the committee being instantly rejected by other HoR and GNC members.

However, the two teams responsible for Saturday’s agreement are sticking to it. The HoR team, headed by Benghazi member Ibrahim Amaish, was reported to have declared today that he was going to Rome to lobby for it at the conference. [/restrict]

Tags: EUFranceGeneral National CongressGermanyHouse of RepresentativesItalyLibyaMartin KoberUKUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
CBL issues new LD 5 and LD 10 notes

CBL issues new LD 5 and LD 10 notes

HRW presses ICC to chase Libyan human rights criminals

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.