No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan assets must remain frozen until unity government in Tripoli says LIA’s Breish

byMichel Cousins
December 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

LIA Chairman Abdulmajid Breish (Photo: LIA).
AbdulMajid Breish (Photo: LIA)

Tunis, 23 December 2015:

The head of the Libya Investment Authority (LIA) in Tripoli, AbdulMajid Breish, who insists that . . .[restrict]the LIA controlled by him is fully independent in the country’s current divisions, has called on the UN not to unfreeze Libyan assets until a national unity government is operating in the capital.

“While important negotiations on a National Unity Government continue, it is imperative that the Libyan Investment Authority’s assets remain ?frozen to safeguard them against the continued threat of misappropriation and corruption,” Breish has said in a press statement.

It would, he added “be dangerous, and deeply counter-productive, to let the prospect of peace provide an excuse for unfreezing any of the LIA’s assets”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In his statement, he said the LIA would “review the sanctions only when the political situation in Libya stabilises and we have an operational National Unity Government operating out of Tripoli”.

In a reference to the separate LIA administration headed by Hassan Bouhadi set up by the Beida government of Abdullah Thinni, he stated that “rogue parallel institutions outside the country have been appealing to the international community to loosen the sanction regime on LIA’s assets in order to gain access to these funds”.

Bouhadi’s LIA is based in Malta and in September asked the High Court in London to fast track a ruling on who has authority over the LIA’s $67 billion-worth of assets around the world. In an interim verdict, the court called on the British government to state whom it recognised – the Thinni government in Beida or the Khalifa Ghwell one in Tripoli – adding it would issue a final decision in March next year.

Officially, the UK position is that it does not recognise government but states. In reality, however, it is backing the new Government of National Accord (GNA) headed by Faiez Serraj which was formally signed into existence by the UN-led Libya Dialogue in Skhirat, Morocco, last week. Moreover, taking a position that is bound to affect the court’s decision in March, it agreed at the 13 December Libya Conference in Rome that it would cease all dealings with individuals connected to the LIA, the Central Bank of Libya and the National Oil Corporation who did not “function under the stewardship of a Government of National Accord”.

It is unclear from Breish’s reference to a national unity government if he means the GNA. The rival “Libya-Libya” process being driven by the presidents of both the General National Congress and the House of Representatives also now intends to try and appoint a separate national unity government.

As to the unity government having to operate out of Tripoli, it appears extremely unlikely that the GNA will be able to do so in the near future because of militia opposition to it. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulmajid BreishfeaturedLIALibya

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libya’s dire humanitarian situation requires urgent funding warns UN

Libya’s dire humanitarian situation requires urgent funding warns UN

Questions over GNC invitation to Prince Mohammed Senussi

Questions over GNC invitation to Prince Mohammed Senussi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.