No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Premier Thinni blocked from yet another flight

byNigel Ash
September 21, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Labraq gunmen arrive to order Thinni ff his plane (Photo:social media)
Labraq gunmen arrive to order Thinni ff his plane (Photo:social media)

Tripoli, 21 September 2015:

Libya’s prime minister Abdullah Al-Thinni was today stopped from boarding his official plane at Labraq . . .[restrict]airport for the second time in a week.

No details were given about who ordered the move nor where Thinni was heading, but it comes only five days after soldiers acting on orders from a top commander stopped him boarding a flight to Malta to address a conference organised by the National Oil Corporation.

It is the latest episode in a turbulent term in office for a prime minister who has been stopped from boarding planes four times, has resigned twice and once been attacked in his car.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In March guards at Labraq, the airport serving the present government base at Beida  prevented him boarding a plane in protest over his choice of Interior Minister. This protest came shortly after army units blocked his official car from taking him to visit the front line in nearby Benghazi.

In August 2014 it was Libya Dawn militias doing the blocking, refusing to let him fly out of Tripoli’s Mitiga airport as the city erupted into open war.

With Thinni narrowly escaping an assassination attempt in May close to the House of Representatives’ (HoR) headquarters at Tobruk naval base, he has had every excuse for quitting and has done so twice.

Less than a month into the his appointment as caretaker prime minister in April last year he resigned, citing threats to his family, but later said he had not submitted his resignation letter.

Then last month he again announced his resignation, this time live on television after a barrage of angry comments during a phone-in programme. “I officially resign and I will submit my resignation to the House of Representatives on Sunday,” he said. Later he changed his mind, officials saying he meant to say he would quit if the Libyan people demanded it.

Despite the turbulence, some see Thinni as Libya’s great political survivor. His appointment last year came out of the blue when, from defence minister, he was elevated to the top job. His predecessor, Ali Zeidan, had escaped via Tripoli airport fearing for his life when the General National Congress (GNC) tried to impeach him.

When the GNC was dissolved, in UN-supervised elections for the HoR, Thinni was chosen as the new parliament’s first prime minister. [/restrict]

Tags: blocked.flightfeaturedLabraqLibyaThinni

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Harmonized System (HS) codes must be used for Libyan imports as of October

Another assassination in Ajdabiya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.