No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon’s enduring confidence over final deal

byNigel Ash
September 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon’s enduring confidence over final deal

UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)

Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)
UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 16 September 2015:

The Libya Dialogue is due tomorrow to start discussing the leadership of the Government of National . . .[restrict]Accord said UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon in the Moroccan resort of Skirhat.

Selecting the three key posts of premier and his or her two deputies may be a big ask since only part of the House of Representatives delegation is there. Two members had reportedly returned to Tobruk for consultation given the fundamental changes made since the accord was initialled last month.The four members of the team from the General National Congress were reportedly delayed by problems with the UN aeroplane  in Tripoli.

None of this would have been apparent from Leon’s upbeat press conference this evening.  He said : “We have spent another day of consultations with the different delegations. The ones that are here, the ones that are not here and after deliberation with all the participants, UNSMIL has considered that the moment has come tomorrow for expediting our talks and proposing that we start the discussion on the candidates for the national unity government”.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Leon said that UNSMIL had received “hundreds, if not thousands” of messages from ordinary Libyans insisting that the formation of the new Government of National Accord should be completed by Eid A-Ahdha, which is 23 September, three days after his latest deadline.

Leon said that he hoped that all parties would be ready to start the discussions tomorrow.

“We have still two, three days ahead of us, and it is important that we use them to make progress in these talks and to try to be ready as we have reiterated by the 20th of September”.

Leon majored on the fact that today was the anniversary of the murder by the Italians of Omar Mukhtar in 1931.

“He has been a reference for all the Libyans ” said Leon, “many of the brigades during the revolution were called Omar Al-Mukhtar, to pay tribute to his legacy – and maybe today is a day to remember his legacy and to remind the Libyans that it is important not to miss this opportunity”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLeonLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Ajdabiya activist murdered

London High Court to start October hearings on legitimacy of LIA chairmen

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.