No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Draft Constitution to be ready by 20 October: Tarhouni

byMichel Cousins
September 6, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Draft Constitution to be ready by 20 October: Tarhouni

Embattled CDA president Ali Tarhouni (Photo: LIbya Herald)

By Libya Herald staff.

CDA president Ali Tarhouni makes a point in Tunis (Photo: LIbyah Herald)
CDA president Ali Tarhouni makes a point in Tunis (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tunis, 6 September 2015:

Libya’s draft constitution will be finalised and published before 20 October, Ali Tarhouni, the president . . .[restrict]of the Constitutional Drafting Assembly, has told the Libya Herald.

The next step, he added, would be to work out the measures for a referendum with the House of Representatives (HoR) “or whatever body” is then in power.

“I would hope to have a referendum within three to five months” following the publication of the draft, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A law authorising a vote would have to be passed, but the CDA would supervise it, Tarhouni noted.

Speaking to a forum in Tunis yesterday about progress on the constitution, he also said that 221 articles had been agreed and that only one was still being discussed. The final draft would, hopefully, be presented to the CDA at a meeting in Ghadames for its consideration.

The date of 20 October is significant. The next day, the HoR’s term of office expires. Because of it, 20 October has also been set by UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon as the deadline for a new Government of National Accord (GNA) to be installed and operating in Tripoli.

A prime minister and two deputy prime ministers are due to be chosen next week in Skhirat, Morocco, by the Libya Dialogue negotiators and, the full GNA is supposed to be unveiled by 20 September.

If those timetables are kept, the HoR will be able to amend the Constitutional Declaration and extend its life by up to two years, or the point, if sooner, when the new constitution is approved in a referendum and comes into effect.

Organising the referendum would depend the Dialogue reaching an agreement and the Constitutional Declaration being amended, Tarhouni said.

“If there is no agreement, it will be very difficult to have a referendum”.

There had already been numerous difficulties in drawing up the constitution and there could be many more to come, he warned, adding “I’ve never done anything more difficult in my life”.

“There is so much we can’t control. It’s been a miracle that we’ve done it so far in a failed state,” he said. “We can’t control when the referendum takes place.” That would depend on the outcome of talks with the government and the parliament. But “the sooner, the better.”

There was always the possibility that the electorate would reject the constitution which, he said, would propose either a presidential or semi-presidential system. If it were rejected, it would go back to the CDA for amendments.

However, he believed that it would be accepted. Libyans were exhausted with the chaos of the interim system, he said. They wanted a constitution that would work.

As to reports that the CDA was moving permanently to Ghadames, they were not true, Tarhouni said.  It was going there for a single session only. It would last between a week and ten days, he explained, adding that hopefully, the session would be televised. It would then return to its base in Beida where, he said, the constitution “has to be signed off”.

The reason for going to Ghadames was to “send a message to all Libyans we’ll go anywhere in the country” and that the CDA is for all Libyans. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali TarhouniCDAfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
US and EU envoys fight their corner at Tunis conference

US and EU envoys fight their corner at Tunis conference

GNC president threatens Leon with legal action

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.