No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi hospitals deny EU claims of civilian airstrike casualties

byMichel Cousins
September 24, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Aimen Amzein.

Benghazi, 23 September 2015:

Benghazi hospitals contacted by the Libya Herald say they have received no civilian casualties as a . . .[restrict]result of the latest military operation launched on Saturday by Khalifa Hafter against Islamic State forces and other militants in the city.

“No civilians have been brought to the hospital as the result of the military operation so far,” a spokesman for Benghazi Medical Centre said.

“We have had military casualties but no civilians casualties for the past three days,” an official at Jalaa Hospital similarly reported.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Local residents contacted in Leithi also say they know of no civilians being killed or wounded as a result of Operation Hatif (Doom).

In a joint statement on Sunday, hwoever, the ambassadors and representatives at the negotiations on Skhirat from the EU, France, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, the UK and US, condemned what they said were “air strikes against civilian population in Benghazi”.

The statement was seen as being in support of a earlier one by UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon who condemned the operation saying it was an attempt to undermine the Libya Dialogue process.

Both statements have drawn widespread criticism from Libyans who have accused Leon and the ambassadors of bias towards the Islamists. There was no condemnation of the Islamic state’s or Ansar Al-Sharia’s activities in Benghazi in Leon’s statement, although he has since spoke against them. There have also been demands for evidence to back up the diplomats’ accusations.

The diplomats have since been backtracking on the statement. One diplomat who signed it has since privately told this newspaper that they had initially been told about attacks on civilians, but that this turned out “not to be true”.

In Bengahzi, one Leithi resident said that his family had just returned to their home in the north of the district, near Hijaz Street which was the one area there that was now clear of militants and the only part of Leithi where civilians were now living. “There have been no bombardments in this part of Leithi.”

Another resident whose family home is in Buatni, scene of heavy fighting in the past three days, said that the military had allowed him back to his home there to check it out.

The Libyan Natial Army (LNA) report that as part of Operation Hatif, it has pushed militants out of the air defence camp in Buatni and thethe areas around the Pepsi factory. Ansar, however, still controls part of Buatni. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziEULibyaLibya dialogueSkhiratUNSMIL

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Torrential Eid rains bring Tripoli to standstill

Torrential Eid rains bring Tripoli to standstill

Families allowed to visit Derna IS prisoners as fighting in Fataieh continues

Families allowed to visit Derna IS prisoners as fighting in Fataieh continues

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.