No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saadi video prompts lawyers to demand action against Hadba prison regime and Libya Dawn

byMichel Cousins
August 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 4 August 2015:

Lawyers for high profile Qaddafi-regime detainees at Tripoli’s maximum security Hadba prison are urging the . . .[restrict]international community to take action following release of a video showing the abuse of Saadi Qaddafi, and last week’s death sentences pronounced on nine detainees.

The video showing Saadi being abused and forced to listen while others are tortured followed death sentences on his brother Saif Al-Islam as well as on Abdullah Senussi, Al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi and six others last month.

Human Rights Watch has already condemned the video, while Al-Mahmoudi’s British lawyer, Karim Khan, said it raised “extreme concerns” about conditions at the prison, controlled by the Libya Dawn militia alliance.

RELATED POSTS

Demonstrations in Zuwara against the Zuwara Free Zone Development Project

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Meanwhile the lawyer for Saif Al-Islam, John Jones, and Senussi’s barrister, Ben Emmerson, have each called on the UN Security Council to intervene to ensure legal standards and halt the executions.

Emmerson, whose team includes Amal Clooney, wife of the celebrated American actor George, said the trial had “descended to the lowest levels imaginable” with defendants denied due process and some complaining of beatings.

Jones described the entire trial as a “farce.”

The British lawyers acting for Saif, Senussi and Al-Mahmoudi are hoping international pressure can make the difference, after Libya’s recognised government, based in Beida, said it had no control over the trial process.

The death sentences and now the video have put the spotlight firmly on Libya Dawn, the real power in Tripoli, despite being nominally under the control of the “government” of Khalifa Ghwell, appointed by the continuing General National Congress.

The International Criminal Court, which last year confirmed that the Tripoli court could guarantee Senussi a fair trial, has yet to comment on the verdicts or whether it regards the procedures as in line with international standards.

Dawn’s unyielding stance on the trial and treatment of Saadi may complicate attempts by UN envoy Bernadino Leon to push ahead with his plan for a unity government. Any unified government will need to rule on whether Dawn’s treatment of prisoners at Hadba is within the law, leaving open the question of whether Dawn leaders would submit to investigators. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSaadi Qaddafi

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libya needs to produce another 1800 MW: Tripoli Electricity Minister

Libya needs to produce another 1800 MW: Tripoli Electricity Minister

IS kills captured judge: report

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.