No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italy takes active role in latest Libya reconciliation efforts

byMichel Cousins
August 7, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Reporter

Tunis, 4 August 2015:

Despite four of its citizens kidnapped and its embassy in Tripoli shuttered, Libya’s former colonial power . . .[restrict]Italy has stepped forward as a possible bridge-builder in the country’s peace process.

Signalling a willingness to bring the two sides together, Italy’s Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni made a high-profile appearance in support of UN envoy Bernadino Leon at peace talks in Algiers with leaders of the rump General National Congress (GNC) leadership of Tripoli.

“Our objective is to encourage an accord. We are ready to lend a hand at every level, from the economy to security,” he said in comments released by Italy’s foreign ministry.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libyan Italian Economic Forum – 16 May at 50th Tripoli International Fair

While supporting Leon in his push to get the GNC to agree a government of national unity already agreed in principle by Libya’s internationally recognised parliament, the House of Representatives, Gentiloni said his diplomacy might deploy sticks as well as carrot in the form of sanctions against individuals obstructing peace.

“We are also prepared to use individual sanctions to isolate anyone seeking to sabotage this accord,” he said, echoing similar warnings made by the EU and most recently by the US.

With elements from many other groups, including Misrata, favouring the peace plan, he emphasised that the onus was now on the GNC to step up.

“Of course, an agreement that the GNC decided to exclude itself from would be a weak one; if they count themselves out, they forfeit the opportunity to bring their demands to the table.

Italy had in the past suggested peace keepers to monitor any unity government agreement, and the EU was also working on an enhanced naval mission to both rescue migrants and target migrant smugglers, he said .

“We have been very clear in stating that Italy is ready to make a contribution if and when the stabilisation process begins. We will do our part and it will be considerable.”

In relation to the four Italians kidnapped last month, sources inTripoli have told the Libya Herald that they were not kidnapped by Islamist militants or for ordinary ransom but by forces linked to the Samoud front, the aim being to pressurise Italy and, through it, the European Union into adopting a more conciliatory approach to the Tripoli regime.

It has not been possible to confirm the reports. [/restrict]

Tags: ItalyLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

UNHCR and IOM work to reduce Mediterranean migrant disasters from Libya

Saadi video prompts lawyers to demand action against Hadba prison regime and Libya Dawn

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.