No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Abducted CBL employees freed after colleagues threaten total bank closure; leading militia leader accused of masterminding the kidnap

bySami Zaptia
June 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Abducted CBL employees freed after colleagues threaten total bank closure; leading militia leader accused of masterminding the kidnap

By Saber Ayyub.

Tripoli, 12 June 2015:

Three staff members at the Central Bank of Libya kidnapped two days ago have been freed . . .[restrict]after their colleagues went on strike demanding their release. The three, from the CBL’s anti-money laundering department and named as Musab Zariba, Ali Atia and Hatem Berish, were seized while investigating a fraud involving millions of dollars-worth of letters of credit.

Their abduction follows that of CBL spokesman Essam El-Oul at the beginning of the week.

The staff protested yesterday outside the bank buildings in the capital.  In an official statement read out in front of the main entrance of Tripoli’s CBL, they said that they would remain on strike until their colleagues were released.  They threatened to shut down all Libya’s banks.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Ministry of Planning meets Libyan Industry Union to discuss support for nationally manufactured products

Their colleagues, they said, had beenwere kidnapped by armed militias operating outside state control.

Social media sites are openly naming a leading militia leader for responsibility for the kidnapping.

The exact details of the kidnapping vary. One report says that the three CBL employees were kidnapped from the Bel Ashhar branch of the Gumhouria Bank in Tajoura where they were carrying out inspections.

These came about after the branch had refused to process a Letter of Credit (LC) for the militia leader on the suspicion that the documents he had presented were fake.

The LC was reported to be worth in the region of US$ 159 million.

This militia leader and his forces have been accused in the past of carrying out kidnappings, but to date no legitimate civilian Libyan authority has been strong enough to confront him.

There is no news about Al-Oul who was also kidnapped last year and held for three days before being released in circumstances that were never explained.

The spate of kidnappings is symptomatic of Libya’s insecurity caused in part by the widespread availability of weapons and breakdown of state security institutions as well as wayward militias operating beyond state control. [/restrict]

Tags: CBL Central Bank of LibyaJumhouriya bankLCs letters of creditLibyamilitia

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli Business Incubator signs agreement with Tripoli University

Tripoli Business Incubator signs agreement with Tripoli University

Red Crescent Ramadan food parcels for displaced in Zliten

Red Crescent Ramadan food parcels for displaced in Zliten

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.