No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Delegates express new optimism about Dialogue agreement

byMichel Cousins
May 2, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

UNSMIL logo

Tunis, 1 May 2015:

Delegates from both sides . . .[restrict]of the political divide in Libya say that they now think the latest draft from UNSMIL on interim political structures to govern Libya will be accepted by all concerned by the end of the month.

“We will get a result soon – before Ramadan – and it will be similar to Draft No. 3,” Sharif Al-Wafi told the Libya Herald today. The GNC in Tripoli which has rejected the draft will back it, he predicts.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

A former member of the General National Congress (GNC) for Marj, he supports the position of the House of Representatives (HoR).

The same view has come from Fathi Bashagha, a boycotting member of the HoR for Misrata who is regarded as his city’s voice in the UN-brokered dialogue.

“I expect an agreement before Ramadan, hopefully by the end of May,” he also told this newspaper this evening.

Both men have said they do not expect serious changes in the draft, unveiled by UN envoy Bernardino Leon earlier this week.

It is a major mood shift from yesterday when Bashagha and the Misratan delegation accompanying him were furious about the proposals when they and other Dialogue participants gathered in Tunis to meet European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogharini.

Today, there was joint optimism,

According to Al-Wafi, only minor changes are needed. Moreover, he warned, “if Leon makes big adjustments, the House will reject it [the draft]”.  People in Libya would think that the UN envoy was being intimidated by the militias in Tripoli if he significantly altered the proposals, he suggested.

The main changes he proposes relate to Article 36, setting a time limit of 25 December 2015 for the work of the Constitutional Drafting Assembly. He also believes the Dialogue draft should not be “interfer” in the CDA’s work even though it should have come up with its own proposals already. He further says he wants the date at which the full HoR first meets – participating and boycotting members t0gether – to be brought forward from 15 June.

 

From Bashagha, a former commander and still a major figure in Misrata’s Halboos Brigade, there are a larger number of proposals, the first being Sunday’s deadline for changes to be sent to Leon. “It needs to be later,” he said this evening.

 

The other changes his side wants to see are :

  • The HoE to meet before it approves the Government of National Accord;
  • UNSMIL to clarify points that are “unclear” (he did not explain what they were);
  • The 60-day deadline for militias to hand in their weapons to be extended (he thought it not long enough);
  • The powers of the Supreme Council of State also to be re-assessed.

In the current draft, the latter has a merely advisory role. “This is an important issue,” Bashagha said.

 

He added that the HoR itself had to be “fixed” before it could legitimately meet to approve a new government. This would involve agreeing on where it should meet and its in-house rules as well as re-electing a new president and re-assessing legislation it has passed.

 

He said he is sure this can be achieved quickly.

 

For his part, Al-Wafi, said he was convinced that if the GNC agreed the proposals, the militias in Tripoli would accept them. “It is the political wing of Libya Dawn,” he said.  They would not sign up to them if Dawn were opposed, he suggested.

 

However, if the militias in Tripoli were opposed, he warned that a military force, either from the Arab League or the UN, would have to go into Tripoli to “catch them, one by one, and take them to [the International Criminal Court in] The Hague”.

 

The international community would have to take action, he said. The dialogue process had been going on for months, he pointed out. A fortune had been spent. People had gone to Geneva, to Skhirat, to Algiers. If the international community then did nothing when there was an agreement, it would all have been a “ridiculous” waste of time, he said. “Someone will have to go to Tripoli and grab them,” he insisted. “It can be done.”

But he was equally confident that “if we get an agreement, the international community will take action to support it.”

As for the next Dialogue meeting in Skhirat, it could take place as early as next Friday, he suggested. [/restrict]

Tags: Fathi BashaghafeaturedGeneva dialogueLibyaSharif Al-WafiSkhiratUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Three die when Benghazi Red Crescent post hit

Three die when Benghazi Red Crescent post hit

Further clashes west of Tripoli but coastal road open

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.