No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amnesty International highlights plight of migrants caught in Libya’s chaos

byNewsdesk2
May 13, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

amnesty

Tripoli, 13 May 2015:

Amnesty International has published a new . . .[restrict]report detailing the horrors migrants and refugees face in an increasingly lawless Libya. The report is based on numerous interviews with refugees and includes stories of personal accounts of abuse and fear.

Horrific conditions in Libya are leading an increasing number of migrants and refugees to attempt the dangerous Mediterranean crossing in order to reach Europe’s shores, reported Amnesty. The rise of lawlessness has “exacerbated the risks they face, leading even established communities of migrants who have been living and working in Libya for years to flee to Europe by boat,” said the group.

RELATED POSTS

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

According to Amnesty, migrants face widespread torture, attacks, abduction and theft. They are abused and taken advantage of by smugglers and criminal gangs alike. Often their passports are stolen or confiscated, leaving them at the mercy of smugglers.

At times, they are held “effectively as slaves—forced to work without pay”. Other times, they are abducted and held in dire conditions until their families pay a ransom.

Women, unaccompanied children and Christians are at particular risk, said the group. Women are often subjected to rape and held as sex slaves.

“Women abducted along the smuggling route who are unable to pay the ransom are at times coerced into sex in exchange for being released or being allowed to continue their journey.”

Amnesty also referenced the recent alleged Islamic State executions of Egyptian and Ethiopian Christians to highlight the threat against Christian migrants. The report recounted the story of one Nigerian migrant who alleges he was kidnapped by a criminal gang in Zuwara because they saw he was carrying a Bible.

With Tunisia and Egypt closing its borders to migrants, those who wish to flee Libya are often left with no other feasible route but to put themselves in the hands of smugglers and risk the dangerous Mediterranean crossing.

The EU, in response to the drowning of hundreds of migrants last month, has announced plans to change its policies regarding migrant boat crossings on the Mediterranean, including plans to increase search and rescue operations.

“The commitment made by EU leaders to deploy more resources for search and rescue is a welcome step, but more people will continue to drown in the Mediterranean Sea unless rescue vessels are delivered promptly, deployed in areas where they are needed most – where most calls for help come from – and remain available for as long as high numbers of refugees and migrants continue to depart from Libya,” said Amnesty International Director for the Middle East and North Africa Philip Luther.

Amnesty expressed concerns about the EU’s announced plans to destroy migrant vessels.

“Introducing measures to tackle smugglers without providing safe alternative routes out for the people desperate to flee conflict in Libya, will not resolve the plight of migrants and refugees,” stated Luther.

Those who are caught by the Libyan Coast Guard are usually detained at detention centres in Libya. Amnesty expressed concern about the conditions the migrants face in such centres.

Abuses in detention centres are rampant, said Amnesty. The group heard from numerous migrants about being beaten, raped and nearly starved while in indefinite detention in the centres.

“European leaders must ensure that refugees and migrants fleeing conflict and human rights abuses are never pushed back to Libya,” said Luther.

Amnesty called wealthy countries to increase the number of resettlement places for migrants fleeing Libya and on Libya’s neighbouring countries to offer sanctuary.

The group also called on the Libyan state to change its own policies of systematic detention of refugees and migrants “based solely on their immigration status” and to improve the detention centres, holding detainees for the shortest time possible.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Amnesty Internationaldetention centresEUIllegal ImmigrantsLibyaMediterranean Seamigrant boatmigrants

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Human Rights Watch calls on House of Representatives to change counterterrorism law

Tuna-1 was carrying 60 militants from Syria says air chief Saqr Geroushi

Tuna-1 was carrying 60 militants from Syria says air chief Saqr Geroushi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.