No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Twenty five LNA troops killed and 170 wounded in two weeks of deadly Benghazi stalemate

byCallum Paton
March 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Suleiman and Moutaz Ahmed.

Cairo/Benghazi, 19 March 2015:

Twenty five Libyan National Army (LNA) troops have been killed . . .[restrict]and 170 wounded in two weeks of fighting with Benghazi Revolutionary Shoura Council (BRSC).

Medical sources told the Libya Herald the casualties sustained over the period represented only those from the LNA, because the Islamist brigades ranged against them do not publicise their losses.

During this fortnight, very little territory has been gained or lost, with the worst of the fighting continuing in Guwarsha and Laithi. Bomb disposal experts yesterday defused two six kilogram explosive devices in in Laithi. Saiqa released a statement online explaining that Tarek Saiede, one of the experts, found the bombs planted in a pram in the Sani Aziziya area.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Ansar Al-Sharia and BRSC have been making renewed efforts to take back Benghazi Port, a key strategic resupply point, from the LNA but have not broken through.

A member of Saiqa Special Forces, who did not wish to be identified, told this newspaper that BRSC was shelling the port regularly but the bombardment was not accurate enough to have a real effect. The source also said tanks had been deployed by the LNA in Buatni, a residential district on the approach to Benina Airport. This had led to some gains in Ardiq Al-Wadiq.

Nevertheless, claims made by General Khalifa Hafter, the commander of the Libyan armed forces, that Benghazi will be liberated in its entirety within one month appear optimistic to those residents contacted by the Libya Herald. The city has endured nearly five months of intense clashes since LNA forces began retaking Benghazi district by district.

More repair work is taking place at Benina Airport, which has been closed since May. Military sources said the airport was firmly under LNA control but that the surrounding area was not yet secure enough to restart flights. There were reports that new baggage handling equipment and aircraft steps have been delivered to the airport.

Saqr Geroushi, the head of the Libyan Air Force, has said previously that Benina would not reopen until all of Benghazi was under government control.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBeninaclashesGuwarshaLaithiLibyastalemate

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Islamic State vows to make Sirte a ‘hell like Fallujah’ in anti-Misrata propaganda video

Islamic State vows to make Sirte a ‘hell like Fallujah’ in anti-Misrata propaganda video

Ajdabiya medical lab updates equipment

Ajdabiya medical lab updates equipment

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.