No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Confusion over LNA reports to have taken Azizia and Zahra from Libya Dawn; Salah Badi and Khaled Sharif deny it

byMichel Cousins
August 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Confusion over LNA reports to have taken Azizia and Zahra from Libya Dawn; Salah Badi and Khaled Sharif deny it

Saleh Badi (Social Media)

By Libya Herald staff.

Saleh Badi (Social Media)
Saleh Badi (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli/Tunis, 20 March 2015:

Following yesterday’s reported advances between Ghariyan and Aziziya by Libya National Army forces, it . . .[restrict]is claimed that they have taken the Warshefana towns of Aziziya and Zahra today from Libya Dawn. The latter’s fighters are said to have left earlier. One report claims that LNA forces are now within 20 kilometres of Qasr Ben Gashir and Tripoli’s destroyed international airport.

However, both Salah Badi, the Libya Dawn commander from Misrata, and former deputy defence minister Khaled Sharif have both gone on TV to deny the claims. Speaking on Al-Nabaa TV, which strongly supports Dawn, Badi said he was in Aziziya but also said said that his forces were kicking the LNA out of the town. Gunfire could be heard in the background while he was speaking by phone to the channel.

For his part, Sharif, said to be a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, likewise insisted that the LNA’s claims were false and that life was normal in Tripoli. However, it was possible that there were some LNA sleeper cells in and around the capital, he conceded, adding that some LNA fighters had been arrested.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Pro-Dawn media meanwhile claim that although LNA forces attempted to move towards Tripoli this morning, they were beaten back and that LD forces are now within nine kilometres from Wattiya airbase.

Zintani commander Abubakr Al-Ejami, in charge of the unit holding Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi, has added to the confusion with a claim this afternoon that LNA forces are within striking distance of Tripoli International Airport and that they will enter the capital within two days.

In the city itself, Libya Dawn checkpoints appear to have vanished, although this could be connected to the fact that it is Friday. However, a Libya Dawn convoy, allegedly Misratan, was seen on the Tripoli Highway this afternoon heading towards Misrata. The city is very quiet at the moment although occasional distant heavy artillery fire can be heard.

Despite claims last night that the LNA would enter Zawia, there appears to have been no such move. However, there are reports of clashes in the town between the Farouq Brigade, which is part of Libya Dawn, and local youths allegedly supporting Operation Dignity.

Meanwhile a statement from Ghariyan elders is said to be expected this evening. There are unconfirmed reports that the mountain town is now surrounded by LNA forces. [/restrict]

Tags: AziziyafeaturedLibyaQasr Ben GashirTripoliZahra

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Flights delayed or cancelled at Mitiga following Air Force bombing

Thinni Foreign Minister's sarcasm mistaken for congratulations

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.