No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

”I have no control over Libya Dawn militias”: Omar Hassi Libya Dawn PM

bySami Zaptia
February 5, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Omar Al-Hassi (photo: social media)
Omar Al-Hassi (photo: social media)

Malta, 5 February 2015:

Omar Al-Hassi the alternative Prime Minister of the internationally unrecognized National Salvation Government of Tripoli . . .[restrict]admitted that he had no control over the Libya Dawn militias. ”I have nothing (no power) on the ground”, he admitted.

Speaking at the end of an interview on Tuesday purportedly with the British Times newspaper, Hassi said that he was unable to stop the current fighting between the Libya Dawn troops and their mainly Zintani-led opposition in western Libya.

It was unclear from the widely circulated leaked and edited video clip of the interview whether Al-Hassi was aware that he was being recorded.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Hassi said that the Libya Dawn forces were made up from the Shields brigades from Misrata and Zawia and that these brigades wanted to put an end to the Zintanis and take away their weapons.

It is the first time representatives of the GNC/Libya Dawn faction have officially admitted that their forces are Misrata-led.

‘’I did not give the order to start the war and I do not now have the ability to ask them to stop the war’’, he added.

Al-Hassi added that his government had tried to integrate the Zintani militias that had lost the fierce confrontations last year in the Tripoli Airport battle into the army and police.

‘’I came with the Libya Dawn forces in order to save them (the Zintanis), but my control over Libya Dawn is limited and I do not possess any power now’’, he claimed.

The pronouncement by Al-Hassi was quickly interpreted as further evidence of a split between the Libya Dawn militias and the GNC, and that Al-Hassi was distancing himself from Libya Dawn militias.

However, today, the Hassi government released a statement clarifying his remarks, but it did not deny the statements or the video clip attributed to him.

Today’s statement stressed that Al-Hassi had meant that the Libya Dawn military forces are under the direct command of the Supreme Military Commander, the President of the GNC Nurri Abusahmain, and not under his command.

The statement stressed that Al-Hassi is fully behind the militias, the true revolutionaries representing the 17 February revolution. [/restrict]

Tags: GNC General National CongressLibya DawnMisrataNational Salvation GovernmentOmar Hassi

Related Posts

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Libya Dawn and HoR look to rivals Ukraine and Russia for support

Libya Dawn and HoR look to rivals Ukraine and Russia for support

Libya on verge of becoming a failed state: Maltese PM

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.