No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Two million people, a third of Libya’s population, may have been affected by internal conflict – international report

bySami Zaptia
January 31, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Two million people, a third of Libya’s population, may have been affected by internal conflict – international report

By Libya Herald reporter.

Interagency Rapid Assessment in libya

Malta, 31 January 2015:

A new . . .[restrict]report out last week estimates that two million people, a third of the Libya population, may have been affected, and close to four-hundred thousand people are displaced – as a result of the country’s conflict.

The political crisis and escalation of violence in Libya since May 2014 has led to civilian casualties, massive displacement as well as the destruction of public infrastructure and the disruption of basic services and social protection systems, the multi international agency report entitled Interagency Rapid Assessment Report December 2014, concluded.

RELATED POSTS

Over 3 million migrant workers in Libya do not pay taxes or fair share – this is draining hard currency and lowering standard of living of Libyans

UNCHR welcomes inclusion of refugees in Libya’s vaccination drive

The interagency rapid assessment was carried out by IOM, UNHCR, UNICEF, UNSMIL and WFP from November to December 2014 in Libya in order to fill the critical information gap for the agencies to respond to the crisis, the report said.

The assessment covered a total of six locations across the country, focusing on the sectors of the population that had been directly affected by the conflict (IDPs, returnees), as well as vulnerable population (migrant workers, refugees/asylum seekers).

The crisis has had a significant impact on the lives and livelihoods among the affected population, it concluded. Out of the total Libyan population of 6.25 million, close to 400 thousand people have been displaced as of November 2014. While many were displaced from September to November due to the escalation of the conflict, some have returned to their place of origin, the report revealed.

The report said that Libya hosts refugees/asylum seekers mostly from sub-Saharan Africa and in addition from Syria lately. As of July 2014, 37,000 refugees and asylum seekers are registered with UNHCR Libya. IOM estimates that there are more than 200,000 migrant workers in Libya, mostly from Egypt and sub-Saharan Africa.

The population’s access to public health facilities is limited in some locations where insecurity is the issue. Lack of medical supply and/or the increased prices of medicine are cited among the major constraints.

Children’s access to school varies from one location to the other, with major challenge cited as school closure. School closure is reported mostly from the eastern part of Libya. Children of those households that have been displaced for a longer period of time tend to have a better access to schooling.

The food security situation among the IDPs/returnees is the concern, especially among those who have been displaced for a longer period of time. The population meets the current level of food consumption at the expense of future productivity or capacity to cope – many spend savings and/or reduce non-food expenses on health and education.

Fourteen percent of the assessed IDPs are classified as food insecure and in need of immediate food assistance, whereas eighty-four percent are vulnerable to food insecurity. If the crisis continues and the situation remains the same or deteriorates, many of the vulnerable population will become food insecure in the coming months, the report said.

Supports from the government, NGOs, and civil societies are not perceived to be sufficient, and many key informants question the sustainability of the current level of supports.

The assessment findings confirm that the current conflict has affected significantly the lives and livelihoods of the assessed population, including IDPs/returnees, as well as refugees/asylum seekers and migrant workers.

The assessment captured a snapshot of the humanitarian situation in the accessible locations among the affected area, while some locations were not accessible due to insecurity, and therefore the findings are not representative of all the affected areas.

The assessment captured the perspectives of the IDPs/returnees, refugees/asylum seekers and migrant workers on the humanitarian situation, but it did not look at broader issues including the impact of the crisis on the population at large, and the state of basic services compared to pre-crisis standards.

This calls for a need to conduct sector specific follow-up assessments in the future to inform appropriate responses, the report added.

In conclusion, the report made a series of urgent recommendations in the areas of food security, education, shelter and protection for IDPs/returnees, refugees/asylum seekers and migrant workers in Libya.

 

For the full report see: http://documents.wfp.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/ena/wfp271609.pdf

  [/restrict]

Tags: asylum seekersIDPsmigrant workersRefugeesreturnees

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Small anti-Turkish, Amercian and British protest in Benghazi

Manchester United signs Libyan player

Manchester United signs Libyan player

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.