No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC now say yes to dialogue but sets heavy conditions

byMichel Cousins
January 29, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
GNC now say yes to dialogue but sets heavy conditions

By Libya Herald reporter.

Makhzoum
Congress Deputy President Salah Makhzoum (File photo)

Tripoli, 29 January 2015:

Following the announcement from UNSMIL that the political delegates to the dialogue process who met . . .[restrict]again in Geneva on Monday and Tuesday have agreed to transfer the talks to Libya, the reconstituted General National Congress has announced that it will now participate.

Ten days ago, Congress said it would join if the talks were held in Libya, suggesting the venue be Ghat, but three days later it announced it had withdrawn the offer, no matter where they took place, because of the attack on Benghazi the Central Bank of Benghazi.

In its statement today, the GNC said they would now be prepared to meet “in any Libyan city”.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

However, there were a number of conditions which are likely to be rejected by many of the other political delegates as well as those from the municipalities, civil society, the military and others invited to participate by UNSMIL.

These conditions are:-

  • Limiting the delegates to the talks;
  • No dialogue with “wanted people”;
  • Compliance with the Supreme Court ruling of 6 October, 2014; and
  • Respect for the Constitutional Declaration.

Congress also indicated that it would not accept anything that had already been decided in Geneva because its representatives had not been there.

Deputy Congress President Saleh Makhzoum, at a press conference in Tripoli today explaining the decision, insisted on parity between both sides in the dialogue. Numbers should be limited to four from Congress and four from the House of Representatives. That was because the talks were political and only political delegates should participate, he said ­– rejecting the invitation of non-political figures (such as municipal and military representatives) to the process. He questioned how anyone could imagine that the latter could decide on a government of national unity.

The insistence of parity between the two sides is likely to see stiff resistance from the HoR and its supporters who consider that Congress in its present state as empowered and maintained by the guns of Libya Dawn whereas it was elected.

No dialogue with “wanted people” could also be a problem if it is widened out to include more than members of the Qaddafi regime.

Compliance with the Supreme Court ruling is more of a grey area. Congress and its supporters believe that the ruling annulled the June elections which created the House of Representatives and thus the HoR-appointed Thinni government, and that it was re-legitimised.

In fact the Supreme Court annulled Paragraph 11 of the Seventh Amendment to the Libyan Constitutional Declaration, passed by Congress on 11 March, 2014, which concerned itself with the HoR’s requirement to decide within 45 days from its first meeting“to settle the question of whether the temporary president is to be elected directly or indirectly.” It also annulled all subsequent effects.

There were very few. At most, it could affect the HoR decision to give itself presidential powers.

The HoR elections of last June were not governed by Paragraph 11. They were authorised by Congress’ Law No. 10/2014 which the Supreme Court did not rule on or annul.

That being the case, both the HoR and international may not find it difficult to accept that the Supreme Court ruling on the grounds that it changes very little and does not invalidate the HoR’s existence or legitimacy.

Respect for the Constitutional Declaration is not thought to pose any problems.

Although the political delegates have now agreed that future meetings should be in Libya, they have already shown that although they want compromise they are not prepared to be dictated to by Congress. After it said it would not go to Geneva and the talks had to be in Libya, Imhamed Shouaib, the deputy president of the House of Representatives, told the Libya Herald that the delegates wanted to meet in Libya but the location had to be secure. Meanwhile, though, they would go back to Geneva. The matter would be discussed there, he said. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneva dialogueLibyaSalah MakhzoumUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya Dawn use air power for first time to strike at Zintanis

Tawergha breakthrough at Geneva

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.