No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Confusion over Geneva dialogue after confidential Leon-Abu Sahmain talks in Istanbul

byMichel Cousins
January 19, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff

Tunis, 19 January 2015:

There is confusion over the fate of the Geneva dialogue talks after it has emerged . . .[restrict]that the UN Special Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) is thinking of accepting the demand from the continuing General National Congress that the dialogue talks restart in Libya.

Yesterday the rump Congress proposed Ghat as the venue when it announced that it would not take part in the talks in Geneva. It would only take part if they were in Libya, it said. But some of the delegates who were in Geneva last week say they will not go to Ghat. “It is not safe,” said Sherif Al-Wafi, the former GNC member who led the 94 Group that boycotted its sessions after it was said to have fallen into the hands of Islamists.

At its meeting yesterday, the rump Congress also insisted that its dialogue team should be allowed to arrange with UNSMIL the time, place and agenda for talks. It authorised Nuri Abu Sahmain, its president, to negotiate with the head of the UN Special Mission in Libya Bernardino Leon on all its demands.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

This, in fact, had already started two days earlier, although nothing was announced. It has emerged that the UNSMIL head flew on Friday to Istanbul for talks with Abu Sahmain, at which, pro-Congress sources have claimed, Leon agreed to move the dialogue from Geneva to Libya.

According to Turkish sources, the talks were “positive”.

In a statement yesterday, UNSMIL said that it “takes note of the proposal to hold the talks in Libya. All participants in the dialogue agree that the priority should be, if the logistical and security conditions are met, to hold the talks in Libya. The mission is consulting with the Libyan stakeholders before the next round of talks to identify an acceptable venue that also provides maximum security to the participants.”

However, the delegates who were in Geneva last week and are currently in Tunis waiting to return to the Swiss city for the second round, say they do not know what is happening.

“We are supposed to be going to Geneva tomorrow to for the second round on Wednesday,” Al-Wafi told the Libya Herald this evening. “We’ve heard rumours of changes. But until now no one has told us anything. I don’t think we will be going.”

He added that they expected to meet with Leon tomorrow in Tunis. He also said that the possibility of going to Ghat had been discussed in Geneva last week but that Leon himself had ruled it out both on security and logistical grounds.

Another reason it may be unsuitable is that it suffering major food and fuel shortages because it is too dangerous to transport such goods into the town.

However, one of the four House of Representatives (HoR) delegates to the talks Saleh Huma, from Timsa, has indicated that, as far as he is concerned, there would be no problem with Ghat.  There were no outside militias there, he said, just soldiers supporting the Libyan National Army; he put them at a thousand.

Others, though, say the council firmly supports Congress, not the HoR.

Huma added that wherever the talks, the HoR delegates would not sit in the same room as those from Congress which he called an “illegal” body. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònGeneral National CongressGhatHouse of RepresentativesLibyaNuri Abu SahmainUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Marj to get international airport

Fierce fighting south of Sabratha

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.