No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA carries out anti-Ansar operation in Leithi, but other parts of Benghazi now seen as safe

byMichel Cousins
December 15, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
LNA carries out anti-Ansar operation in Leithi, but other parts of Benghazi now seen as safe

There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA's successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)

By Adam Ali and Maha Sulaiman.

There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA's successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)
There has been massive destruction in Bel Awn in the LNA’s successful operation to secure it (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 4 December 2014:

East Benghazi’s Leithi district, one of the last strongholds of Ansar Al-Sharia in . . .[restrict]the city, has seen some of its heaviest fighting to date in the past 24 hours after Operation Dignity forces launched an offensive in the area.  Following shelling of the area ysterday, the LNA entered it shortly after midnight from three separate areas: Suq al Lahoum.  Buhdeima and Hay Al Zawia (previously known as Hay Al-Fatah).

One local resident told the Libya Herald that the noise of the clashes had been massive and frightening.  He told how he had been phoned at 2 am this morning by a friend who lived three streets away.

“He asked if I was OK and then told me that a missile had hit his house,” the resident said. “I told him to come to my home. I went outside but guns were firing away. I was crouching on my knees in the street. I called out to him.  He too was on his knees up the road. Honestly, I thought I was going to die. I’ve never been so frightened. I shouted to him to stay where he was until the shooting stopped. Then when it stopped I told him to run to me as quick as possible.  He did.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

“About half an hour in my house he suddenly started shacking and could not move.  It was shock.”

Not far away, the resident said, a butcher’s shop and the apartment above it was on fire.  “People called the fire department to come and put it would but they could not because of fighting.”

Meanwhile there are persistent rumours in the area that Ibrahim Bernawi, brother of Walid Bernawi, an Ansar commander in the district, was captured by the LNA during the operation.

Despite the fighting, many local residents have not evacuated the area. “They are still at home, expecting any moment to be told to evacuate. But they don’t want to leave,” said the local resident. “They are afraid that the area will be damaged like Bel Awn. and Suq Al Hoot.”

There has been massive damage in Bel Awn district with many commercial premises destroyed in the fighting between the LNA on the one side and Ansar and its allies on the other. The area is now under LNA control although it is said to be still too dangerous for residents to return. An Ansar sniper, said by some to be a member of the Bernawi family, is reported to be firing at  anything that moves.

According to Saqr Adam Geroushi, commander of the LNA air force, the Sabri district is also not wholly clear. Snipers, he told this newspaper, were still holed up at a hotel. There were snipers too in the Suq Al-Hoot area.

To the south of the city, at the university, scene of earlier intense fighting between the LNA and Ansar, more buildings were reported to be on fire today.

Elsewhere in Bengahzi, there is calm. Yesterday, to show that the situation was much improved, Khalifa Hafter went on a walkabout in Istiklal Street (formerly Gamal Abdul Nasser Street), Birkah and Zeitoun near Dubai Street, along with Geroushi and Mohamed Al-Hejazi, the spokesman for Operation Dignity. In an indication that views may be changing towards him, many locals came out and greeted him while women ululated, as at weddings.

“It shows that Bangahzi is now basically a safe city,” said Geroushi.  There was still clashes in some areas, he said, but “the war is finished”.

As for Benina airport, it would reopen for flights as soon, he said, but only when the entire city was “cleared of terrorists”, he added. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

UN condemns “in strongest terms” air strikes and military escalation

One dead in airstrike near Ras Jedir border crossing

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.