No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan Dawn will only talk if HoR is “unrecognised”

byNigel Ash
December 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

UMSMIL's Leon at end of September's peace talks in Ghadames
UMSMIL’s Leon at end of September’s peace talks in Ghadames (photo: screen grab)

Tripoli, 7 December 2014:

The chances for UNSMIL-brokered dialogue in just two days time seem thinner as both sides harden . . .[restrict]the conditions that will bring them to the negotiating table.

Libya Dawn has today demanded an end to international recognition of the House of Representatives and the Thinni government as one of the four conditions for it to enter into “unconditional dialogue”.

Saying that it had been the first to call for dialogue which it continued to support, the Libya Dawn press office demanded on the organisation’s Facebook page that it would not negotiate unless the Supreme Court ruling on the illegality of the electoral law passed by the GNC was recognised as valid.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

It went on to insist that the GNC and the administration it had appointed led by Omar Al-Hassi was the only legitimate authority in Libya.  It also demanded that the Political Isolation Law stay in place and be implemented and went on to insist that the militias making up the Libya Dawn forces were the real national army.

Given that yesterday the House of Representatives set out its own four conditions, hardy less unbending that those of Libya Dawn, it is hard to see where UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon is going to find much common ground, save that both sides accept the principle of dialogue.

He is hoping restart talks in just two days time, at a location still to be announced. The first talks, at the end of September, were held in Ghadames.

The HoR has again insisted that it is the only legitimate authority. It also wants to know in advance, who else will be party to the negotiations, the talks’ framework and a timetable. It has said that it will not sit down with anyone that has been  responsible for “the crisis” and obstructed democratic politics.

The HoR has further reiterated that the Libyan National Army is the sole legitimate military formation and that militias should disband while their leaders can play no part in any talks.

Though UNSMIL has condemned government airstrikes, along with other violence on both sides,  the UN body continues to insist that it recognises only the government of Abdullah Al-Thinni and the HoR which appointed it. It has also said that there can be no conditions for talks and that those who refuse to take part are likely to face sanctions. [/restrict]

Tags: dialoguefeaturedHoRLibyaLibya DawnUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Hafter not to be appointed Commander-in-Chief, leading HoR member says

Ansar Al-Sharia appear to be firing missile indiscriminately

Ansar Al-Sharia appear to be firing missile indiscriminately

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.