No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 25, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK and US accused of not supporting Libya’s fight against terrorism

byMichel Cousins
November 20, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 20 November 2014:

Prominent Libyan figures have lashed out at the US and UK, accusing them of failing to . . .[restrict]show support for the Libyan Army and the country’s fight against terrorism.

The Libyan ambassador to the UN Ibrahim Dabbashi has said that the recent statement released by the House of Representatives again declaring that Operation Dignity was part of the armed forces was a reaction to some foreign countries who still doubted that Khalifa Hafter and Dignity were really under full control of the state.

He singled out the UK and US as showing unwillingness to support the Libyan Army in its fight against terrorism and, according to the Cairo-based Libya news agency Bawabat Alwasat: “If they are serious about fighting terrorism, Libya is already doing this now.” He added that no foreign country had the right to impose its ideas on who should lead the Libyan army in its fight against terrorism.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Debbashi called on the UK and the US to review their positions and make it clear they were with the Libyan people. Otherwise they ran the risk of losing their credibility with their claims of being committed to fighting terrorism, he said.

Former leader of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and current senior analyst at the Quilliam Foundation – a UK-based think-tank that focuses on “counter-extremeism” – Noman Benotman echoed Debbashi’s sentiments when he launched a tirade against the UK and US on an interview with Saudi-based channel Al-Arabiya. He urged the two countries to change both their attitude towards and actions on Libya.

If the US and UK had shown a different attitude, the situation in Tripoli would be very different because the extremists would be weakened, “like kittens”, Benotman said. “It’s not the fault of the thuwar from Misrata,” he said, “they have been misled by these countries.” He added that the terrible thing was that the thuwar were unaware of how the UK and US talked about them behind their backs.

Benotman said he was speaking out after receiving some “very bad news” about what Western countries were planning with regard to Libya, which made him very nervous. “I have to tell the truth, now and before God,” he said. “I have to be honest with the Libyan people.” [/restrict]

Tags: DabbashiHouse of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

UN: Ansar Al-Sharia responsible for catalogue of terror attacks

Libya is an Islamic country and Sharia must be the source of all her laws says Abu Sahmain

Libya is an Islamic country and Sharia must be the source of all her laws says Abu Sahmain

Top Stories

  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.