No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hassi “government” accuses Leon of not wanting dialogue and of “disrespecting” Libyan laws; threatens potential court action

byMichel Cousins
November 4, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Hassi “government” accuses Leon of not wanting dialogue and of “disrespecting” Libyan laws; threatens potential court action

UN's Leon: Unwelcome in Tripoli say posters (Photo: Maryline Dumas)

By Libya Herald staff.

rp_Bernardino-Leon-UNSMIL-300x286.jpg

Tripoli, 3 November 2014:

The Foreign Media Department belonging . . .[restrict]to the Hassi administration has condemned UN Special Envoy to Libya Bernadino Leon, claiming he “disrespected” the country’s laws and did not wanting dialogue with the current power in Tripoli: Libya Dawn. It has also said that if he continued to the policy, he would not be welcome again and court action would be taken against him.

“He doesn’t want dialogue with people in Tripoli,” new Head of the Foreign Media Department Jamal Zubia told the Libya Herald today. “We say yes to dialogue, but you must respect us. If he does not respect the government, he is not welcome here.”

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The Hassi administration appears to have taken offence because its permission was not sought when at the end of Leon’s visit to Tripoli last week he held a press conference.

“Leon arranged a press conference in Tripoli without telling the government but the law says he has to inform us,” Zubia insisted. “Leon is from the UN and, if the UN does not respect the laws of the country, it is a big disaster.”

He added that Leon had contacted individual journalists to invite them to the press conference and that the first he had known about it was when he saw it being broadcast on a television channel. He said he phoned the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who had also received no information about the conference.

“We have sent a formal letter to his media department explaining everything, saying that what he was doing was breaking the law and, if he does the same again, we will send him to court,” Zubia said.

“We are responsible for everything to do with the press and especially foreign media. So we have to know what is going on.” He added that he had requested a meeting with Leon to discuss these matters.

He also said that, if the same thing happened again, journalists would be warned not to attend future such press conferences. “Any journalist who breaks the law is not welcome. This is the same as everywhere. We are a normal country,” Zubia declared.

He accused Leon of being biased against Omar El-Hassi’s Tripoli-based “government”, which the international community refuses to recognise. It accepts only the Tobruk-based House of Representatives and the Thinni government appointed by it, and has steadfastly refused to have any dealings, including any meetings, with the Hassi administration.

“Another problem is that many times Leon announces things and says things that undermine our freedom fighters,” Zubia complained. “But they have power on the ground,” he noted, adding that “he never discussed things with Fajr Libya, never managed things through them.”

He pointed out that many people in Tripoli were now saying that Leon was no longer acceptable, citing recent demonstrations in the city in which, he said, protestors had said he was not welcome in Libya.

At a protest on Friday, the country’s controversial Grand Mufti Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani described Leon as “undesirable” and accused him of being biased in favour of the government and parliament now based in Tobruk.

UN's Leon: Unwelcome in Tripoli say posters (Photo: Maryline Dumas)
UN’s Leon: “Un-Welcome” in Libya claim Tripoli posters (Photo: Maryline Dumas)

For his part, Omar Al-Hassi, also accused Leon of bias in an interview with Aljazeera last week, saying that the UN Special Representative did not “see the truth” of what was happening. He too stated that complaints had been made to the UN.  He did not , however, as has been reported on social media, say that Leon was unwelcome in Libya.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Thinni’s fourth cabinet meeting focuses on budget and Benghazi

Thinni's fourth cabinet meeting focuses on budget and Benghazi

Navy ship on fire as clashes rage around Benghazi port

Navy ship on fire as clashes rage around Benghazi port

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.