No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

byCallum Paton
November 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

Khalifa Hafter tours central Benghazi (Photo: Social Media)

By Maha Suliman.

Bengnazi, 6 November 2014:

Khalifa Hafter, the controversial leader of Operation Dignity toured several Benghazi areas hardest hit . . .[restrict]in the recent fighting and declared the city safe.

Despite Hafter’s assertion, sporadic fighting continued into a third week, after pro-government forces re-entered the city. Mohammed Al-Hejazi the spokesman for Operation Dignity, which has been co-opted into the Libyan National Army (LNA), told the Libya Herald that clashes had taken place last night and this morning in the Laithi and Sabri districts.

A fire broke out at Benghazi’s Tibesti Hotel after a rocket struck its first floor causing only minor damage and nocasualties. The hotel, which became a focal point for protests during the revolution, is earmarked as the home of the House of Representatives. Hejazi claimed the rocket attack was deliberately meant to undermine the parliament and had been timed to coincide with the Supreme Court’s ruling on its legitimacy.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

Hafter toured the districts of Ras Al-Baida, 20 Street and Sabri where fighting has raged for the past three days after pro-government forces attempted to secure Benghazi’s docks. The seaport still remains under the control of Ansar Al-Sharia and it allies.

Making a televised statement during the tour Hafter said the LNA had pacified Benghazi and would soon turn its attention to Tripoli and Derna.

Pro-government forces carried out airstrikes today on several targets in Garyounis, the Narh road and Guwarsha, Hejazi said.

Despite Hafter’s claims, large swathes of the west of the city including Guwarsha and parts of the city-centre remain under the control of the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council and are where heavy clashes are predicted in the coming weeks.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesHafterLibyaTibesti Hotelviolence

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Supreme Court rules HoR illegal

Supreme Court's constitutional decision questioned as it widens rivalries

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.