No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fight for Benghazi port continues as fire rages in downtown hospital

byCallum Paton
November 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Fight for Benghazi port continues as fire rages in downtown hospital

Fires rage into the night at Benghazi's Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)

By Maha Suliman and Adam Ali.

Fires rage into the night at Benghazi's Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)
Fires rage into the night at Benghazi’s Jumhoriya Hospital (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 4 November 2014:

Violent clashes have erupted across Benghazi with fighting taking place . . .[restrict]in the city’s Sabri district where yesterday pro-government forces pushed towards the city’s seaport.

Saqr Adam Geroushi, the commander of Operation Dignity aircraft fighting under the banner of the Libyan National Army (LNA), told the Libya Herald that some small pockets of resistance remained in Sabri where a stray missile today struck the Jumhouriya maternity hospital.

The hospital was evacuated two days ago after it was threatened by nearby fighting. The Libyan Red Crescent helped ferry by ambulance seven newborn babies, five of whom were described as being in critical condition, to Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC).

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Geroushi claimed Jumhouriya had been hit by an Ansar Al-Sharia rocket. He added that today warplanes under his command had carried out airstrikes on Ansar weapon and ammunition dumps in Laithi and on the Al-Nahr road.

One Benghazi resident said following yesterday’s clashes that the LNA now controlled all entrances and exits to and from the Sabri area. He said Ansar Al-Sharia had positioned themselves at Suq Al-Hood and had been successful in taking control of a nearby naval base which yesterday put up some resistance to the Islamist fighters.

The Libyan Navy ship that was hit by a missile in the stand-off has reportedly sunk, according to individuals living near the port. They explained, however, that the ship was not completely submerged because it had been moored in shallow waters.

One resident described the situation in Sabri as “very, very desperate” explaining that only roughly 30 percent of its inhabitants, mostly men, had remained behind during the fighting to protect their homes. “It is very, very dangerous” he said adding that some residents “don’t have anywhere to go so they have to stay”.

Elsewhere in the city clashes are raging tonight in several districts, with initial reports of fighting in Laithi, Fweihat, Tabalino, Majouri, Hay Salam, Bodeyma and Masekin among others.

One House of Representatives official today told this newspaper, perhaps over-enthusiastically, that on the back of gains they had made yesterday, government forces were now in control of central Benghazi.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Omar Al-Sunki announced the creation of a 2,000-strong security force to stabilise Benghazi. Precisely which personnel would be used to create the uinit or when it would be deployed was not said.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesfeaturedLibyaportSabri

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Tunisia threatens to expel Libyans involved in political activity

Tunisia threatens to expel Libyans involved in political activity

France, US and UK petition UN to add Ansar Al-Sharia to terror list

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.