No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi truce fails as fighting rages across the city

byCallum Paton
November 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Suliman.

UN flag (Photo: Creative Commons)
UN flag (Photo: Creative Commons)

Benghazi, 19 November 2014:

Clashes have continued across Benghazi despite a twelve-hour humanitarian ceasefire brokered by the . . .[restrict]UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL).

“A ceasefire beginning at 7 am was like an invitation for Ansar to start attacking at that time”, one resident in Benghazi’s Bel Awn district told the Libya Herald. She explained that in her area inhabitants had witnessed some of the most intense clashes they had seen in recent days.

UNSMIL said the ceasefire was announced by its head Bernardino Leon and had been agreed to by the “different parties to the conflict in Benghazi”. The “unconditional humanitarian truce” was scheduled to begin at 7 am local time for a period of 12 hours. Residents reported fighting in Benghazi from 7 am onwards.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The truce was described by the UN as being critical in “giving the people of Benghazi a much-needed reprieve from violence”. Had it held it would have given the Libyan Red Crescent time to evacuate civilians and retrieve bodies.

A spokesman for the Libyan National Army (LNA) Mohamed Hejazi told this newspaper that pro-government forces had been unable to keep the truce in the face of aggression from Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies. “We acted in defence,” he said.

Hejazi said that in Bel Awn six members of Ansar Al-Sharia had been killed in clashes with government forces. He said fighting had also taken place in Hawari, Sabri and around Benghazi University.

Hejazi explained that the LNA had agreed to the ceasefire on humanitarian grounds and had coordinated with the Libyan Red Crescent and the UN. The army did not enter into direct negotiations with Ansar Al-Sharia. he said. “They are criminals and we will not negotiate with them,” he added.

The LNA confirmed its participation in the ceasefire in a statement released by the Chief of Staff’s office. The statement said the truce had been managed by the UN with the support of British Special Envoy to Libya Jonathan Powell.

Spokesman for UNSMIL Samir Ghattas explained that the truce had been extended to all areas in Benghazi affected by recent fighting. He said the UN had used “channels direct or indirect involving the Shoura Council, Chief of General Staff’s office and the Red Crescent” but explained that the UN “does not deal with Ansar Al-Sharia”.

Beyond its obvious refusal of the truce, Benghazi Revolutionaries Shoura Council (BRSC), of which Ansar is a part, has been ambiguous in its response to the UN overtures. A spokesman for the Islamist coalition told Bowabat Al-Wassat that an official response was still being coordinated after fighting had resumed.

Follow Maha Suliman on Twitter: @Mahasye

[/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziceasefirefeaturedLibyaUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libyan ministers travel to Cairo for help rebuilding state institutions

Tunisia closes borders with Libya ahead of Sunday's presidential election

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.