No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA again calls for evacuation of Benghazi’s Sabri district as clashes continue

byCallum Paton
October 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim.

Families flee the fighting in Benghazi
Families flee the fighting in Benghazi (Photo: Archive)

Benghazi, 28 October 2014:

Pro-government forces fighting under the banner of the Libyan National Army (LNA) have . . .[restrict]again called for the evacuation of residents from Benghazi’s Sabri district as fierce clashes continued throughout the city.

Reports from medical sources indicated that as many as 28 individuals had been killed in Benghazi yesterday over a period of 24 hours.

Mohamed Hejazi the spokesman of Operation Dignity, which works under the auspices of the army, told the Libya Herald that residents in Sabri needed to leave for their own safety. He said as LNA forces advanced from the eastern and western entrances of the city Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies were being pushed into Gwarsha and Sidi Faraj.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

“Ansar snipers are in Sabri and Shara Al-Khutut,” he said. “They are putting their vehicles next to private homes to prevent them being hit.”

Repeating his calls for residents to leave their homes he said the LNA would target any homes where Ansar Al-Sharia was present. He added that in the Sabri district local people had been helping government forces locate and arrest Islamists and their supporters. He claimed that many members of Ansar Al-Sharia had surrendered over across the city but would not say how many. “We treat them well and in accordance with Islam,” he said.

Elsewhere in the city, Hejazi said, LNA helicopters had carried out airstrikes on Ansar positions. A checkpoint in Buatni had been hit, destroying vehicles and, he believed, killing Ansar fighters. In Gwarsha  four Ansar Al-Sharia gun-mounted vehicles were also destroyed.

The home in the Salmani district of an Ansar commander, Jalal Makhzoum, had been attacked and burned by locals, he said. Makhzoum was, however, not present. He is believed to be in Turkey for medical attention.

The fighting in and around the university has continued and one member of 204 Tank Brigade, named as Haithem Mousa Al-Khafafi, was reported killed during the clashes yesterday. The LNA also reported that a 17 February Brigade leader, Ali Faraj Al-Magasabi was captured at the same time. Rockets were also falling in nearby the Tabalino district by Tripoli Bridge.

Meanwhile, the headless body of a member of the Qaddafi regime’s security apparatus, Mohamed Yacoub Lamami, was found in the Hawari district. It is not known when he was killed.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziclashesLibya

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Thinni meets ambassador about up-coming Moscow trip

University of Benghazi reassures students that files are safe

University of Benghazi reassures students that files are safe

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.