No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kikla “could be secured” within days, says western region military commander

byMichel Cousins
October 24, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
By Libya Herald Staff.
24 October 2014:
The mountain town of Kikla could . . .[restrict]be under the full control of the Libyan National Army (LNA) within days, according to the Commander of the Military Operations in the Western Region.
“The majority of Kikla [area] is under the control of the Libyan army, and we could secure total control within two to three days,” Brigadier Idris Madi told the Libya Herald. He added, however, that because of the difficult mountain terrain and the way the town was spread out, the operation could take longer to complete.
“We are fighting groups in different places there and are trying to deal with each place as a separate entity,” Madi said. He added that it was known to the Libyan Army that these groups included several affiliated either with the Libya Dawn operation or Ansar Al-Sharia.
Echoing advice given to residents of Benghazi, he advised local people not to allow terrorists or militias to use their homes as hideaways. “The cooperation with local people is very important and they need to protect themselves,” Madi said, adding that the LNA had “great support” from civilians in many of the Western mountain towns as well as in Tripoli. “We have to keep social cohesion among the people and many in the Western Mountains are cooperating with the Libyan army.”
The military forces were advancing gradually, to avoid heavy fighting in residential areas, which could result in civilian casualties, he explained.
The LNA itself had not sustained heavy casualties so far, with the injured being taken to hospitals in Tunisia for treatment, Madi said. Those fighting for Libya Dawn were believed to have suffered heavier losses but, he claimed, the opposition was always keen to withhold such information.
Once Kikla was secured, LNA forces would wait for orders from higher ranks regarding its next move, Madi said. However, the ultimate goal of the military operations in the Western region was to keep progressing until Tripoli was retaken from Libya Dawn.
“We will move forward until we liberate the capital,” Madi said. “The Libyan army is willing to protect all areas that are in need of protection, and this will be provided by the military, not by Libya Shield.”
Since the latest wave of fighting began in the Western Mountain region in early September, the LNA has been slowly advancing. As well as parts of Kikla, the towns of Kasarat, Shalghouda and Abusheba were now under control of the Libyan Army and supporting units, Madi said. The suburbs of Aziziya – the largest town in the Wershafana area – have also been secured.
“What remains are pockets of people, especially in areas close to Warsherfana and the Western Mountain and the Libyan army is dealing with such pockets,” Madi said. “These are not necessarily members of Libya Dawn but they are smaller groups from other areas that support Libya Dawn operations.”

[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Tags: Jebel NafusaKilkaLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tunisia to close border with Libya for three days as legislative elections take place

Government forces claim victory at 17 February Camp for second time

Government forces claim victory at 17 February Camp for second time

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.