No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

GECOL fighting to bring power back

byNewsdesk1
September 18, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

GECOL

Kufra, 17 September 2014:

Libya’s main power provider, the General Electricity . . .[restrict]Company of Libya (GECOL), which has been severely crippled by damage done by fighting in many parts of the country and its inability to obtain spare parts for repairs, says it is working day and night to bring consistent power back to the areas suffering blackouts.

“GECOL engineers are making great efforts to repair damaged lines in a number of areas southwest of Tripoli, including Seraj and south Hadba,” GECOL spokesperson, Lutfi Ghoma told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Libya’s annual fuel bill rose to US$ 12 bn due to increased electricity production

The recent clashes in Tripoli plunged a large part of the country into long blackouts, often lasting hie or ten hours in the capital

“The south Hadba grid, through which most of Tripoli’s energy lines run, was hit during the clashes. Engineers are currently working very hard in that area to repair and replace damaged parts,” explained Ghoma.

With fighting in and around Tripoli at an end (apart from west of Tripoli), it would much easier for the engineers to get in and fix the lines, Ghoma said. “It will just be a matter of time before we are finished with the repairs,” he added.

The rising sense of insecurity has driven large numbers of foreign workers to flee the country. The Sirte power project, for example, has been hit by the departure of Korean companies Doosan and Hyundai and Turkey’s Gama. GECOL, however, took the lead in operating the plant before its brand new turbine broke down last month.

On the other hand, at the 450-megawatt Sarir power plant some 450 kilometres north of Kufra, is working normally with adequate light fuel supplies, though it is facing shortages of spare parts and experiencing some technical issues.

“We have been having trouble importing spare parts for the turbines and transformers for three years now,” the manager at the Sarir power station, Hashim Al-Maliki, told this newspaper.

“The fuel supplies for the Sarir power station are adequate, but we desperately need to replace parts in a number of transformers and machines quickly—before winter comes—because consumption is sure to go up,” Maliki warned.

The security situation has also placed a burden on GECOL engineers in the eastern part of the country, as they are not able to access some areas where armed conflict is ongoing, such as the Abu-Atni and Sidi Faraj areas of Benghazi.

“Power lines were hit during the fighting in the Abu-Atni area during Ramadan,” a GECOL manager, Abdulmunaem Al-Shantti, told this newspaper.

“It is yet unsafe to access these areas for the fighting rarely lets up. Some transformers hit by missiles are repairable, if only the fighting were to stop,” said Shantti. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityGECOLLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Business

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

February 17, 2026
Libya considering ways of recovering its outstanding loans to African states
Business

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

February 17, 2026
Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil discusses technical cooperation with US-based BlueVee Energy to develop gas processing solutions for Field 103D

February 17, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

February 16, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

February 16, 2026
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

February 16, 2026
Next Post

"Corruption" protest at Ghariyan public prosecutor's office

Blockaded Zintanis clash with Gharianis

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.