No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Victims of terrorist violence appeal to UN to intervene in Libyan crisis

byNewsdesk1
August 26, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Victims of terrorist violence appeal to UN to intervene in Libyan crisis

By Libya Herald staff.

Docklands
Libyan victims with DVA members in London (Photo: DVA)

Tripoli, 26 August 2014:

The UK-based Docklands Victims Association (DVA), founded in the aftermath of a massive terrorist attack . . .[restrict]in London’s Docklands in 1996 in which the IRA used semtex explosive provided by Qaddafi, has called on the UN to immediately intervene in the Libyan crisis to prevent a further loss of Libyan lives and humanitarian disaster.

In a letter addressed to UN Secretary Ban Ki Moon on 25 August, the DVA, which was very involved in humanitarian work with the Qaddafi’s victims, thanked the UN for its willingness to aid in the overthrow of the former dictator in 2011, which “saved countless innocent Libyan lives”.

It went on to say that, through direct communications with a number of individuals in Libya, the DVA had confirmed that “appalling” crimes against humanity” were being carried out by the militia involved in fighting. They were “using fear to destabilise the country and eradicate democracy”, the DVA said.

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

It warned that an “unparalleled” humanitarian crisis would occur if additional international intervention were not immediately implemented.

The DVA appeal challenges statements by the UN which have called for an immediate ceasefire and the opening of national dialogue, but have warned that outside intervention could undermine Libya’s sovereignty and cause further divisions within the nation.

The newly appointed UN envoy to Libya Bernadino Leon has said that he does not believe that foreign intervention of any kind would stop the turmoil in Libya.  Only an inclusive political process with all Libyans represented in parliament and other state institutions would do so, he said.

However, “Libyans who want to fight the chaos through political means will need a lot of international support,” he conceded. [/restrict]

Tags: DVAforeign interventionLibyaUN

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Despite deteriorating conditions, most migrant workers choosing to remain in Libya

France, Germany, Italy, UK and US: outside interference will exacerbate divisions and undermine democratic transition

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.