No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan government reacts to Tunisian & Egyptian flight bans – seeks to take steps to reverse bans

bySami Zaptia
August 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 22 August 2014:

The Libyan government reacted yesterday to the bans imposed by both the Tunisian and Egyptian . . .[restrict]authorities on flights originating from Mitiga and Misrata airports.

In an official statement released yesterday, the Libyan government said that it had received notification from both the Tunisian and Egyptian authorities informing it of the flight bans as a result of security incursions at the airports and in line with the protection of Egypt’s and Tunisia’s national security.

Whilst the Libyan government assures of its concern for the protection of the security of its two neighbours, the Libyan government assures its readiness to offer all the guarantees and to take all possible steps through its civil aviation and security agencies in order to protect the two airports in a manner that would allow for the restarting of flights from Tunisia and Egypt in line with internationally agreed safety standards, the statement said.

RELATED POSTS

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

The Libyan government has started immediate contact with authorities in Egypt and Tunisia in order to implement the necessary coordination with this regard.

At the same time, the Libyan government statement continued, the Libyan government calls on all to cooperate in projecting our airports in an appropriate manner in order to limit the dangers preventing the aviation movement from our airports and preventing the delay of the interest of our citizens and our travelers in these difficult circumstances that the nation is going through, the statement concluded.

It is notable that the government statement neither confirmed nor denied that either airport was under its total control. Equally, its statement “the Libyan government calls on all to cooperate in projecting our airports in an appropriate manner ” could be seen as coded message for the various militias or non central state authorities controlling Mitiga and Misrata airports – to hand them over to central authority control.

It will also be recalled, however, that no less than the Caretaker Prime Minister himself, Abdullah Thinni, was prevented from boarding a plane from Mitiga airport headed to eastern Libya as part of the effort of opponents of the newly elected House of Representatives to prevent the Prime Minister from attending its inauguration at the beginning of this month.

Mitiga civilian airport and air force base complex had been handed back to the state three times. In an interview on Al-Assema TV two days ago, Justice Minister Salah Maraghny complained how the militias controlling Mitiga would  “call us to handover (the airport) and then they come back to take it over”.

Mitiga airport has been under the control of the Special Deterrent Force headed by the Islamist Abdel Rauf Kara.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Egyptflight bansMisrataMitigasecurityTunisia

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
A top Dignity commander injured in Benghazi clashes

A top Dignity commander injured in Benghazi clashes

Derna killing “brutal revenge, not justice”: Amnesty International

Derna killing "brutal revenge, not justice": Amnesty International

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.