No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Large majority of House of Representatives’ members meet in Tobruk

byMichel Cousins
August 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ayman Amzein.

Benghazi, 2 August 2014:

Fears that the new House of Representatives would be split from the start into two separate . . .[restrict]bodies on political and geographical lines have been averted with the arrival for today’s emergency pre-inaugural session of at least 153 members in Torbuk, where the postitive, almost festive atmosphere is in stark contrast to that in Benghazi and Tripoli.

Those who have turned up to are from all over the country. They include Hamouda Siala, elected in Central Tripoli, Faiz Al-Saraj and Musab Abdulagasim, both from Hay Al-Andalous,Tariq Ashtar (Abu Sleem) and Luwai Al-Ghawi (Suq Al-Juma).

It is expected that when the session starts this morning, there could be as many as 170 members. The only conspicuous reported absence is of members from Misrata. Mustafa Abushagur, the member for Suq Al-Juma who was briefly kidnapped on Wednesday yesterday said that he too would not be going to Tobruk.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyans and five expatriates detained for deliberately falsifying civil status data in Tobruk

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The meeting has also seen a rallying of the country’s official leaders. The Prime Minister, Abdullah Al-Thinni, as well as the Ministers of Interior, Health, Transport, Local Government, the Deputy Minister of Finance and the Cabinet Secretary are in Tobruk. So too is the Chief of General Staff, Major General Abdussalam Al-Obeidi. He is overseeing security both in the town, which is said to be good, and on the border.

Earlier this week, there were separate meetings in Tobruk and Tripoli of members of the parliament, as Libyans now call it, with those at the former saying that its inaugural meeting would on 4 August in Benghazi and thereafter sessions probably in Tobruk itself. Those who met in Tripoli had gone along with view expressed by the head of the General National Congress, Nuri Abu Sahmain, that the parliament would not be legal until power was handed to it by Congress, and that would be done in Tripoli on 4 August.

With the Tripoli nor Tobruk gatherings at the time roughly split in numbers, there was growing alarm that two separate Houses would happen, neither with the quorum of 120 members needed for major decisions such as appointing a government. Abu Sahmain’s intervention was also widely seen as a spoiler aimed at ensuring such an outcome and that Congress would therefore continue in office.

Today’s meeting has averted that potential disaster. With far more members present than the necessary quorum demands, its legitimacy is unassailable even by Congress. It provides hope that Libya’s present violent power struggles can be overcome.

It remains to be seen if members will decide unilaterally to make today’s meeting at Tobruk’s Dar Es-Salam Hotel a formal inauguration and also whether they will ask Thinni to stay on as interim Prime Minister. [/restrict]

Tags: House of RepresentativesLibyaTobruk

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Cyrenaica tribes demand Benghazi ceasefire

Four Benghazi children killed in mortar explosion

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.