No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Cyrenaica tribes demand Benghazi ceasefire

byMichel Cousins
August 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Ahmed.

Bengahzi, 2 August 2014:

A council of tribal leaders from all of eastern Libya have called for a ceasefire in . . .[restrict]Benghazi as of midnight last night.

At a meeting yesterday in the city of what the elders have named the “Senate Commission”, they claimed to have been successful in negotiations with Operation Dignity forces, the army and the so-called Shoura Council of Benghazi (the umbrella organization that groups together Ansar Al-Sharia, Libya Shield Brigade No. 1, 17 February Brigade and other likeminded militias). All had agreed to the ceasefire, they said.

However, there had been no direct negotiations with Ansar and the Shoura Council noted that while it approved the ceasefire, the military organisations it represented had not yet done so.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

That lack of approval was evident this morning when a fresh explosion shook Hawari district as the last remains of the Secuirty Directorate there was blown apart by Ansar or one of the other militias in the Benghazi Shoura Council.

Yesterday’s massive demonstrations in Benghazi may have made Ansar and it allies more amenable to the ceasefire call, although in the past when they have withdrawn from positions in the face of street protests they have retaken them one the protestors have gone.  That reality notwithstanding, and despite this morning’s explosion, there is now a positive mood in the city, apparently fuelled by the sense that yesterday’s protests and the meeting today of the new House of Representatives in Tobruk are a game changer.

For their part, the elders say that if either side refuses to abide by the ceasefire they will condemn them. However, more practical consequences are hinted at by one of the elders. Disclosing that Ansar and its allies were planning to launch an assault on Benina Airbase where Saiqa is now headquartered after it was forced out of its Buatni camp last week, he said that this was unacceptable, and indicated that there would be tribal action if an attack were made.

The elders had been working for the past week to bring peace to Benghazi, the representative said.

“Five day ago, we launched the Senate Commission . . . We are deeply troubled at what is happening –­ the destruction and bloodshed between brother Libyans, the horror of people having to flee their homes because of heavy shelling and destruction of institutions,” he explained.  They were particularly worried at the prospect of aerial bombardment of residential areas if the fighting continued.

“We don’t have any formal position or function. All we want is peace in Benghazi and security and protection for itw people from the ongoing war between the two parties.”

The group had worked hard to try and bring about a ceasefire and was in contact with the House of Representatives meeting in Tobruk, he added.

Other groups in the city, including the Benghazi Council of Elders, in partnership with the Shoura Council of Libya, have also been working to end the fighting and enable displace residents return home.

(With input from Noora Ibrahim) [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Four Benghazi children killed in mortar explosion

House of Representatives delays meeting till Monday

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.