No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Awami apologises for Congress’ failings as voting begins for House of Representatives

byCallum Paton
June 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Awami apologises for Congress’ failings as voting begins for House of Representatives

Ezzedine Al-Awami speaking at HNEC yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)

By Callum Paton.

Ezzedine Al-Awami speaking at HNEC yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)
Ezzedine Al-Awami speaking at HNEC yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)

Tripoli, 22 June 2014:

The First Deputy President of Congress, Ezzeddin Al-Awami, has apologised to the Libyan . . .[restrict]people for the failings of the General National Congress (GNC). Speaking of “our mistakes”, he said the elections to the House of Representatives were the “only way out of the political crisis in Libya”.

The surprise apology came while he was speaking yesterday evening at a ceremony to mark to start of the House of Representatives elections. They began yesterday with Libyans voting in 13 countries abroad.  The apology drew applause from those attending the event.

Libyans had developed “reservations” about the democratic process as a result of Congress’ behaviour, Awami admitted. He hoped that, nonetheless, Libyans would go out and vote on Wednesday. It was “a great opportunity to remedy and amend what went wrong”, he said.  It was his hope that “the new House of Representatives will enjoy every success and learn from the mistakes of the GNC”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Awami played a pivotal role in the country’s recent political crisis over the controversial appointment by Congress of Ahmed Maetiq as prime minister at the beginning of May. He had chaired the first session which failed to raise the necessary quorum to make the appointment and had stood his ground after the disputed second session, rejecting Maetig’s appointment and telling Abdullah Al-Thinni to remain in post as caretake prime minister.

The manner of Maetig’s election to the premiership and subsequent wrangling in Congress while Benghazi burned and clashes erupted in Tripoli eroded what little goodwill remained for the GNC.

Awami also said the decision to locate the new House of Representatives in Benghazi sent a message to the world. “When we have security problems in some cities we face these problems,” he said. “When we legislate to have the House of Representatives in Benghazi it shows we are ready to fight terrorism.”

He later told the Libya Herald he hoped his apology would restore some faith in the democratic process and added that the elections showed how far Libya had progressed. He said the ability to apologise and acknowledge the mistakes of the past was one of the benefits of the revolution.

The Ministers of Culture and of Communications as well as Prime Ministerial spokesman Ahmed Al-Lamin and Second Deputy President of the GNC, Salah Makhzoum who had been at loggerheads with Awami over the Maetig appointment were present at the conference, as were HNEC commissioners and staff.

HNEC Chairman Emad Al-Sayeh said elections would take place because of “the will of those who wish to see peace in Libya. He said elections to the House of Representatvies had been subject to political infighting in the run-up to polling day and said “we hope in the future elections will be given priority. Recent events have proved that we will go to the ballot box when all other roads to dialogue have been blocked”.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ezzeddin Al-AwamifeaturedGeneral National CongressHNECHouse of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Hariga oil port resumes exports

Hafter orders Turks and Qataris out of eastern Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.