No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Electricity cuts add to Benghazi’s woes

byMichel Cousins
June 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel and Noura Ibrahim.

Tripoli/Benghazi, 18 June 2014:

On top of the continuing deadly fighting in the city, electricity cuts totalling . . .[restrict]up to 12 hours a day are adding to Benghazi’s miseries.

“It’s too dangerous to go out and without power we can’t do anything at home either. There’s no television, no internet, no air conditioning,” said one exasperated Fuwayhat district resident where, as in the rest of the city, the electricity went off at midday today. It came back on in Fuwayhat only at 9:45 this evening. Elsewhere it came back slightly earlier, at Hadaieq at 8 pm and in Leithi at 7pm.

Yesterday the cuts were from 6 pm until about 11 pm.

RELATED POSTS

REAoL continues installation of solar energy systems in public health centres as part of its Go Green Initiative – urges all public entities to adopt renewables to meet electricity needs

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

With power to local relay base stations cut. the outages affected mobile phone coverage as well.

Other places of the east have likewise been hit in days of cuts. The Libyan new agency LANA reported three days of outages in the desert oases towns of Jalu, Awjila, Jakharra and Tazerbu in the south east of the country. Last week and this week too, there have been cuts in several Tripoli districts.

The cuts in Benghazi are being blamed in part on the fighting there, with power lines being brought down.

However, the manager of Sarir power station, Hashim Al-Maliki, blamed them on a combination of reasons.

“We’re facing a fuel supply problem in Sarir power station as a result of which our usual production of 500 megawatts is down into 230 megawatts.” Additionally there was work reconnecting power lines near Gemenis, on the Benghazi-Ajdabiya section of the national grid. But this was unfinished.

“We suffer from the lack of security. It prevents us from working normally,” Maliki said.  “Our engineers are trying to work in very difficult conditions and in areas where there is no security at all.” Additionally, because of the general security situation, he said, many foreign engineers had left the country.

Another problem, he said was a lack of spare parts.

“We have a shortage of gas and fuel supplies,” said GECOL spokesperson, Lutfi Ghoma, concurring with Maliki’s main explanation. “We’re operating just two units at Misrata and Sarir [power stations].”

Normally, the country’s power stations had a daily production of between 5,000 and 6,000 megawatts, he said, with consumption at less than 5,000 megawatts. Production was now down, but he would not say by how much.

Events in Benghazi had also significantly impacted on the supply nationwide, with power line cuts, he added, explaining that Benghazi North power station was working but on reduced capacity. However, it was gradually restoring production, he said.

Faced with the mountain of cuts, the cabinet has decided to set up an emergency ministerial committee, giving it executive powers to solve the problem.

For many in Tripoli and Benghazi, however, the electricity problems – and the petrol crisis in the capital – are not the result of maintenance work coinciding with violence in Benghazi bringing down power lines or engineers refusing to go out to work because of security concerns. There is a growing belief that the power cuts and the petrol crisis have been deliberately orchestrated to “punish” Libyans.

By whom is another matter. It depends on who one is speaking to. Many blame Islamists, Others say members of Congress or Qaddafi supporters.

Whoever the cuplit, the belief that the cuts are deliberate is getting stronger. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityLibyapower cuts

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Thinni tells Malta to act on fuel smugglers

Thinni tells Malta to act on fuel smugglers

Libyan Street Theatre troupe to perform at London festival

Libyan Street Theatre troupe to perform at London festival

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.