No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Thinni tells Congress to go

byCallum Paton
May 20, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni
Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinniya, General National Congress

Tripoli, 19 May 2014:

The government today joined the growing movement demanding that the General National Congress (GNC) close down. It . . .[restrict]has laid down a set of strict instructions to Congress which amounts to an ultimatum that it pass the 2014 budget and then cease functioning.

Following an emergency cabinet meeting today, the government announced that the GNC had to adhere to a raft of measures to stop the country from “descending into infighting which no party could win”.

In a hard-hitting 10-point open letter to Congress, it said that that a second prime ministerial vote had to be held to put to rest ambiguities following Ahmed Maetig’s election to the post. At the time, several Congress members cast doubt on the legality of Maetig’s victory when a second round of balloting was called for in Congress after its session had been closed. Others said he had failed to reach the necessary majority of 120 votes.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The government said the country’s current political crisis had resulted from this legal controversy and that it had to be resolved through a secret ballot, but publicly televised.

It also charged Congress with passing a budget for 2014 after which it said its sittings and sessions should be suspended.

Completely limiting the input of Congress into matters of national security, the government also said that directives from Commander in Chief of the Libyan armed forces, GNC President Nuri Abu Sahmain, and Chief of Staff Major General Abdussalam Jadallah Obeidi now had to be approved by the cabinet.

Setting a specific timetable for the beginning of the transfer of power, it declared elections had to start to the new House of Representatives by 15 August at the latest. The government said it would itself disband in during the first session of the new legislature.

Finally the government said it supported not only the military establishment and the security forces but also what it called the “true” revolutionaries for their “sacrifices and good service to the nation”.

Congress has seen innumerable physical attacks against it by various militias and unofficial groupings since it was elected in July 2012. The open letter amounts to the most powerful assault against it from the government’s side.

Thinni, who was made interim prime minister in March when it sacked Ali Zeidan has already twice managed to outmanoeuvre Congress. The first when he threatened to resign last month unless given more power; Congress, unable at the time to agree an alternative, appointed him full-time prime minister. The second was when he then refused its request to come up with a new government, saying that he would not do so and that he would resign when Congress appointed another prime minster.

Angry at being ignored, Congress then chose Maetig, but in controversial circumstances that are now playing against it.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-Thinniemergency cabinet meetingfeaturedGeneral National CongressLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Algeria’s Sonatrach withdraws staff from Libya

Algeria's Sonatrach withdraws staff from Libya

Benghazi’s Saiqa Special Forces join Hafter’s ‘Dignity Operation’

Benghazi’s Saiqa Special Forces join Hafter’s ‘Dignity Operation’

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.