No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli fire fighters go on strike

byMichel Cousins
April 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Seraj Essul.

(Photo: Seraj Essul)
Firemen on strike outside Tripoli central fire station (Photo: Seraj Essul)

Tripoli, 27 April 2014:

Tripoli’s fire-fighters went on indefinite strike today after a colleague was injured . . .[restrict]while attending a fire early this morning in the Ben Ashour district. They are demanding safety equipment, new vehicles, substantially better work conditions, danger money and health insurance.

This morning’s accident was the last straw, firemen at the central fire station on Shara Al-Saydi in Bab Ben Gashir told the Libya Herald today.

“We’ve had enough. We decided to strike after we came back from the fire in Ben Ashour,” said one of the leaders who did not want to be named.  That was at 4 am.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Other colleagues had previously been injured in call-outs, he said, but requests for better facilities had fallen on deaf ears. Masonry from a balcony had fallen on one recently, seriously injuring him and he was now unfit for work.  Just after the revolution another of their number had died while fighting a fire. 

“We have been to the GNC so many times and one of the GNC members came to see us and promised us there would be changes. But nothing has happened.”

The firemen say that many fire fighting vehicles are unusable and that they need new ones, along with other equipment such as oxygen masks. The firemen say they have none.

They also want danger money for working in dangerous circumstances, plus health insurance.

 

(Photo: Seraj Essul)
A fire fighting vehicle not quite ready to go  (Photo: Seraj Essul)

Workplace conditions, said another fireman, are unacceptable. The central fire station has been on Shara Saydi since Italian times and some of the facilities seem almost to date back to that time.

With usually around 30 people during any one 24-hour shift, there is only small room for a few to sleep with makeshift beds and matresses on the floor. There is no kitchen, toilet facilities are filthy and unhygienic with sewage seeping through broken pipes.

 

(Photo: Seraj Essul)
The sleeping quarters (Photo: Seraj Essul)

Asked how long the strike would last, the response was simple from strikers. “Until we get our demands”. 

They appear to be split, however, as to whether they would turn out in serious emergencies. 

One leader said they would. “It depends on the seriousness of the case.  We have to go if lives are at risk.”

However, according to another, “we are not moving at all.  It’s the only way we can ensure our demands are met”. 

There are no indications that the National Safety Authority which is responsible for the fire brigade or the Ministry of the Interior have yet made contingency plans. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredfire fightersLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

New Libyan Olympic Committee head elected

Celebration of Colours art exhibition opens 26-30 April

Celebration of Colours art exhibition opens 26-30 April

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.