No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kufra Tebus call for municipal elections to be postponed

byCallum Paton
April 8, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 8 April 2014:

Tebu elders in Kufra have called on the Ministry of Local Government to delay the town’s municipal . . .[restrict]elections and meanwhile assess  the needs of its Tebu districts .

The head of the Tebu committee of elders in Kufra, Husain Aya, told the Libya Herald that the body charged in November with evaluating the needs of Tebu majority districts in Kufra had not yet arrived. He insisted that, because of this, the elections scheduled for 6 May could not go ahead.

“The committee of judges and the head of the crisis committee in Kufra, Ali Al-Bahbah, were meant to have completed fact finding procedures on the ground and an evaluation,” he said. “This has not yet been accomplished.”

RELATED POSTS

France, Germany, Italy, the UK and US welcome 58 municipal election results across Libya

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The evaluation committee was formed last year as one of the conditions for Tebu demonstrators from Kufra and its surrounding area ending their blockade of Sarir power station. Protestors were demanding a sub-council be established for the Tebu districts in Kufra where, at present, all local council members are Arab. They also demanded that the nearby Tebu town of Rebyana be given a municipal council of its own. The committee was supposed to consider how authorities might address these demands.

“We can’t go back to square one,” Aya said. “We have sent letters to the Ministry of Local Government, urging them not to hold elections until the evaluation committee had performed its duties,” he added.

The Chairman of Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections, Otman Gajiji, declined to comment directly on the matter but said that at present Rebyana was a voting centre for Kufra and not a municipal area in its own right.

There have been suggestions that, rather than become municipality on its own, Rebyana could because a special district directly under the Local Government Ministry.

Kufra has been the site of frequent clashes between ethnic minority Tebu and Arab majority Zwai tribesmen since the revolution in which hundreds have died and many more have been injured. [/restrict]

Tags: KufraLibyamunicipal electionsTebu

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

International community responds to eastern oil terminal agreement

Al-Thinni officially appointed PM, new government within a week

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.