No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Cyrenaican ‘government’ claims provisional deal with Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
April 3, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 2 April 2014:

The self-declared “Cyrenaican government” is claiming that a provisional deal has been . . .[restrict]reached with the government in Tripoli that would allow “most” of the blockaded eastern oil ports to be reopened.

According to Ali Al-Hassi, the spokesman for Ibrahim Jadhran and the Cyrenaicans, the government delegation led by Deputy Finance Minister Muraja Ghaith broadly accepted their demands during negotiations today in Brega. Both sides, he said, had shown “good intentions” in the talks. The government team had then left on a private plane back to Tripoli to report the discussions to the Prime Minister and a reply was expected within 48 hours. “Maybe tomorrow”, said Hassi.

He also denied reports that there had been a specific deal to reopen Zueitina terminal in the morning. Everything would depend on the government. “A big part of the oil ports would be reopened if the government accepts our demands,” he told the Libya Herald.  Asked which ports, he replied cryptically “most”. 

RELATED POSTS

Brega confirms readiness to set up Janzour Oil Depot and cooking gas cylinder factory

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The Cyrenaican demands, he explained, were the formation of a committee to oversee the loading of oil in future with counting devices in operation; a committee to investigate past oil loadings; a distribution of oil revenues on a federal basis – to Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan as per the 1951 constitution; international organisations to inspect what is happening in Libyan prisons; and the return home of displaced persons.

The first two are known to pose no problem for the government, and the last is not expected to raise objections other than in Misrata. Nor probably is the inspection of prisons. The sticking point has been dividing the oil revenue.

Hassi’s statement that “most” ports could reopen appears to indicate that Jadhran and the Cyrenaica federalists intend to keep one closed to pressurise the government into conceding further demands, among them possibly that Jadhran should be put in charge of the Petroleum Facilities Guards.

Any decision to do a deal with Jadhran, let alone concede his demand for splitting oil revenue on a federal basis is likely to meet with stiff opposition.

“It is not possible for the government to sign a deal with Jadhran”, a senior official at the Ministry of Defence told this newspaper today. “He is a wanted person” who had to be arrested, he said. [/restrict]

Tags: BregaCyrenaica governmentIbrahim JadhranLibya

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Abu Sahmain comes out fighting, blames Awami for release of Jadhran tanker prisoners

LIA now suing Societe Generale over losses and fraud

LIA now suing Societe Generale over losses and fraud

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.