No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL head says country at risk of slipping into “unprecedented violence”

byCallum Paton
March 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL head says country at risk of slipping into “unprecedented violence”

UNSMIL head Tarek Mitri at the UN Security Council (Photo: UN News Service)

By Libya Herald staff.

UNSMIL head Tarek Mitri at the UN Security . . .[restrict]Council yesterday (Photo: UN News Service)
UNSMIL head Tarek Mitri at the UN Security Council yesterday (Photo: UN News Service)

Tripoli, 11 March 2014:

Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Tarek Mitri told the UN Security Council yesterday that “Libya faces the risk of embarking on a new trajectory of unprecedented violence.”

In his latest and most pessimistic report to the UN so far on the current situation in the country, Mitri said Libya was in need of support as increasing political polarisation caused violence across the country.

Referring to the storming of the General National Congress (GNC) just over one week ago, the UNSMIL head said “intense efforts to resolve differences and negotiate an agreement on the management of the transitional period, including the future of the GNC and the government have not succeeded in bringing an end to the divisions that have paralysed the political process”.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

There had been a “dramatic” spike in violence in Libya over the last three months, Mitri said citing tribal clashes in Sebha which left over 100 dead and the campaign of targeted assassinations against officials in the east, particularly in Benghazi.

“In a city which prides itself on its role in putting an end to decades of tyrannical rule, the present public’s sense of anger is mounting,” he said. “While the primary responsibility for reining in the perpetrators of this ugly campaign of terror lies with the state, this will only be possible with the concerted efforts by the government, political, civic and revolutionary forces, aiming at the protection of the civilian population.”

Mitri reported that a solution to the problem faced by the nation would require a clear strategy and a number of assurances to revolutionaries who, he said,  were only nominally under state authority. He said this would include recognition of their contributions to the revolution and safeguards for their legitimate rights and interests.

“Support to Libya, however, can be meaningful and effective if there is unequivocal commitment on the part of Libya’s leaders to this goal and a political will to resolve, through dialogue and concerted efforts, the major problems of the country,” he concluded.

 

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTarek MitriUN Security CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Oil tanker now in international waters, says GNC member

Oil tanker allegedly "on fire" in international waters

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Ministry of Planning meets Libyan Industry Union to discuss support for nationally manufactured products

Libyan institutions explore how emerging technologies can strengthen education and scientific research

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.