No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protestors threaten to close Ruwais power station; Tripoli power cuts possible.

byMichel Cousins
March 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 26 March 2014:

Protestors from Hawamid and the neighbouring village of Takoot in the Jebel Nafusa are . . .[restrict]threatening to close the Ruwais power station because of what they claim is government neglect. Demonstrations started outside the gas-fired plant on Monday and the protestors say they will start a blockade next Monday if there is no response to their demands.

Closure of the power station would result in a replay of last December’s major power cuts in Tripoli.

“Hawamid’s people sought refuge in the Jebel Nafusa and Tunisia during the Libyan uprising of 2011 and as a result our homes were burnt down, our lands vandalised, our property stolen by Qaddafi’s brigades and associates” the head of Hawamid Local council, Al-Hadi Duo, told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“When the town was liberated on 28 July, 2011, people started moving back, but things are completely different in the town because of the theft and destruction. We sent made a hundreds of letters to the government asking it to re-build the town and give residents compensation for massive losses of property and possessions,,” he said. “But we’ve seen nothing so far.”

The protestors appear determined. “We had a very difficult times. We were forced to leave the town because of the brutal tyranny of Qaddafi’s brigades.  Burt we bore all for the sake of Libya,” one of the protestors at the power station, Fathi Al-Hamidi, told this paper. “Despite all that we’re have been ignored and neglected. The government hasn’t granted us any compensation for our immense losses.”

They had not protested at Ruwais before. “This our first time ever. We’re all very aware of the critical situation that the country is facing, but it seems all our efforts have got nowhere. So we will shut down Ruwais next week if the government doesn’t make a move.”

The Ruwais power station in Jebel Nafusa West of Libya is fired by gas supplied from the Mellitah Company’s Wafa field in the south west of the country. A recent blockade of the pipeline promoted warnings of a shutdown and power outages in Tripoli. However, it is now operating normally.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: haw amidLibyapowerRuwais power station

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya Build 2014 sets record sales of outdoor exhibition space

Libya Build 2014 sets record sales of outdoor exhibition space

Kidnapped bank official freed

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.