No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

North Korea severs ties with tanker, ship sails on in murky waters

bythomwestcott
March 13, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott.

Tripoli, 13 March 2014:

The North Korean government has severed all links to the oil tanker Morning Glory that loaded . . .[restrict]an illegal shipment of oil at Sidra port whilst sailing under the North Korean flag.

The vessel was run by an Egyptian company, according to North Korean news agency KCNA, and was given permission to temporarily use the DPRK flag for six months as part of a contract signed at the end of February.

The loading of an illegal shipment of oil at Sidra port apparently violated this contract and North Korea demanded that the ship leave the port without loading oil, said the spokesman for the North Korean Maritime Administration.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP signs MoU with Saudi Ajyal Company – discussions included participation in Zuwara Oil Refinery project

Tripoli Libyan government economic delegation holds further meetings in Saudi Arabia

“The DPRK formally notified the Libyan government and the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) that it cancelled and deleted the ship’s DPRK registry and invalidated all the certificates,” he said. The tanker had violated North Korea’s law on the registry of ships, as well as the contract, which prohibited it from transporting contraband cargo, the spokesman said.

The ship now had nothing to do with North Korea, he added.

The revelation that an Egyptian company was involved with Morning Glory adds a further twist in the mystery of who is behind the illegal oil purchase.

The Director of the Alexandria-based company told the Libya Herald that it was neither the ship’s operators nor managers, and dealt solely with paperwork relating to certificates and expiry dates.

“Our company does not own the tanker, nor is our company an agent for it nor an operator thereof. Our company never gets involved in any way in the cargo management or the determining of ports or destination of the said tanker,” the company said in a statement.

“We are not managers for the ship so we don’t get any notifications from it and we do not have permission to ask it leave or enter any ports. This is the responsibility of the owner and operators,” he said. “We are not able to know or control its contracts or deals.”

The manager said he could not give any details about who owned or operated the ship because it had dealt with the Morning Glory company solely through emails.

Both the General National Congress (GNC) and the National Oil Company (NOC) previously said the boat was owned by a Saudi Arabian businessman. Shipping sources, however, told the Libya Herald that a company based in the UAE was behind the deal.

The Morning Glory sails on, through the murky waters of who struck the deal with Ibrahim Jadhran to buy the oil. Now stripped of its rights to sail under for flag of North Korea, it may now be facing another legal challenge, as international maritime law requires every merchant ship to be registered in a country.

The last reported sighting of the vessel was yesterday off the coast of Egypt near the town of Mersa Matruh, according to Culture Minister Habib Al-Amin. [/restrict]

Tags: Ibrahim Jadhranillegal oil exportLibyaNorth KoreaOil tankersaudi ArabiashippingUAE

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Kidnapped CBL employees released but banks still concerned about safety

Counter terrorism top of the agenda at Arab Interior Ministers' summit

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.