No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hosting the GNC can be bad for business

bythomwestcott
March 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 6 March 2014:

Sunday’s attack on the General National Congress (GNC) left Congress members literally without anywhere to . . .[restrict]sit after protestors burned and damaged chairs whilst vandalising the premises.

With few venues in the capital with a single space that can hold 200 people, the only option has been for the GNC to relocate to one of the city’s five-star hotels.

This, however, has raised security concerns for guests, prompting a number of early departures and cancellations at more than one location.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Libya and Austria discuss possibility of holding economic forum

“We had around 20 early check-outs,” a member of the management at the hotel where the GNC relocated told the Libya Herald. “What is much more obvious, however, is the lack of bookings and telephone calls we have received over the last two to three days.”

He added that there had also been a noticeable drop in the number of visitors to the hotel, where its normally-busy restaurants and cafes have been almost empty.

“Security concerns are high, especially after news spread that the GNC had been ransacked, and whichever hotel hosts the GNC will experience a loss of business, with a drop in visitors and guests,” he said.

The Waddan Hotel also lost business after AP incorrectly reported that it would host GNC meetings. Management immediately contacted all guests to explain the mistake, Waddan’s sales executive Nidhal Bessi said, adding that this had reduced the number of early departures to around ten and cancellations to just a handful.

“I confirm that Waddan Hotel, Tripoli, did not have any communication orally or in writing with the Libyan Authorities, National Congress or media in regard to accommodating Libya’s parliament sessions,” General Manager Anas Tarsin said, in a statement the hotel released to try and repair any potential damage to business.

Tarsin blamed the media, which he said had not check with the hotel before publishing the story, and a member of the GNC for spreading misinformation.

The Rixos, located beside the GNC and once popular with members of both Congress and the government, was not an option for the GNC this time because it closed in December, ostensibly for refurbishment. [/restrict]

Continue Reading
Tags: BusinessGeneral National CongressGNChotelsLibyaNTCTripoliunpaid bills

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Saadi to face numerous charges, says General Attorney office

Saadi to face numerous charges, says General Attorney office

Emergency medical training for staff in Ghat and Obari

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.