No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amazigh and Tebus dismissive of Congress acceptance of Consensus Principle

byMichel Cousins
March 17, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Taziz Hasairi and Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 16 March 2014:

Libya’s Amazigh and Tebu communities have reacted with scorn . . .[restrict]to Congress’ decision last Tuesday to accept the “Consensus Principle” which they insist has to be the basis for drawing up the constitution.

“It’s been five days now and we still haven’t received a final form of the approved draft, and I don’t know if we ever will,” National Tebu Assembly (NTA) chairman Adam Rami Karki told the Libya Herald today.

Congress members were, he claimed, “absurdly manipulative” and he had no faith in them. “We will never recognise a constitution that does not recognise our basic rights,” he warned.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

The head of Amazigh Supreme Council (ASC), Ibrahim Makhlouf, was likewise dismissive. It was “completely unacceptable” that Congress had not spelled out what it was agreeing to in accepting the Consensus Principle, he said.

Last month, the Amazigh community shunned elections for the 60-member Constitutional Assembly because it was reserved just two seats, a proportion the ASC said was insultingly low compared to the Amazigh percentage of the population as a whole. The demand that the Tamazight language be given official status was also a factor in the boycott.

The ASC then said that the boycott would continue until the Libyan authorities approved fives points – the Consensus Principle. This is that at least two-thirds of the entire 60-member assembly including all six Amazigh, Tebu and Tuareg members would have to agree to the proposals in the draft constitution on the name of the state (e.g. State of Libya, Republic of Libya or whatever), its identity, flag, national anthem and language(s),

Additionally, any point in the draft constitution that relates to any one of the three ethnic minorities would have to have the approval of its two members.

The Tebu approved the principle shortly before the poll and joined the boycott.

On Tuesday, when Congress decided to dismiss Ali Zeidan as Prime Minister and to approve the February Committee’s proposals for a fresh legislature for its replacement (but not direct elections for a state president), it also quickly voted in favour of the Consensus Principle in a bid to address Amazigh and Tebu demands. However, it did not state what, in its view, the principle entailed.

Because nothing had been written down the Amazigh community rejected the law, Makhlouf said – and would continue to do so until such time as Congress explained what it meant. Its condescending attitude, he insisted, was an insult. It was mocking the Amazigh community.

Without a full legal explanation, there could be no progress on the matter of the Amazigh being represented on the 60-member assembly.

Congress had to spell out if full what it was accepting, Ayoob Sufyan, a member of ASC’s political committee, similarly said. The only formula it would accept was one that it had formulated, he declared.

The Tebus have concurred.

“Once we receive the final form of the approved draft on the Consensus Principle, we will make our final decision, but the consensus principle must be approved without any change, in precise clear-cut words accepting all the five terms that makes up the principle,” said Karki.

The Tuareg community does not have a single united organisation speaking for it. Unlike the Tebu and Amazigh communities which boycotted the assembly elections, one Tuareg member was elected in Ghadames. Blockades, violence and threats of violence in Obari and Murzuk also prevented not just Tebu and Tuareg candidates being elected there but general list ones, mostly Arab, as well.

The Amazigh and Tebu willingness to accept just two members each, providing the consensus principle is agreed in full, would seem a compromise although it is not clear how the members would be chosen. There are suggestions that Congress could pass a law enabling the ASC and the NTA to appoint two members each.

The advantage for both organisations is that they would thus become officially-recognised bodies.

How this could be done for the divided Tuareg community is less obvious.

There also remains the matter of selecting the other eight general list assembly members who were not elected last month – from Obari and Murzuk as well as from Derna, where Islamists stopped the polls.

[/restrict]

Tags: amazighAmazigh Supreme CouncilGeneral National CongressLibyaTebuTebu National Assemblytuareg

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Libya 2017 Committee denies Africa Cup of Nations security risks

Libya signs sport development MOU with Spain

Libya signs sport development MOU with Spain

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.