No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

bythomwestcott
March 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

Saadi Qaddafi shortly after his arrest two years ago (File photo)

By Libya Herald staff.

Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media
Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media

Tripoli, 6 March 2014:

Saadi Qaddafi arrived in Tripoli in the early hours of this morning, after . . .[restrict]Niger finally agreed to extradite him.

“Saadi Muammar Qaddafi was extradited to Libya from Niger this morning and is currently being detained by Libya’s Judicial Police,” the Libyan government said in a statement released on its Facebook page and via its official Twitter account. Security sources confirmed that Saadi arrived at 2.50 am this morning at Tripoli’s Mitiga airbase and was transferred to Hadba Prison, where other leading members of the former regime, including Abdullah Senussi, are held.

The government was keen for Saadi, the third son of the former dictator,  to receive just and fair treatment, reflecting international standards, the statement added.

RELATED POSTS

Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

Attorney General’s Office confirm Saif al-Islam Qaddafi’s death – Initial examination of corpse confirm death caused by gunshots

Images of him with his head and beard shaved, whilst dressed in prison uniform are now widely-circulated on social media networks, although it is not clear if the picture has been doctored.

It is not yet clear what charges Saadi faces but it was alleged that, in the early days of the revolution, Saadi gave orders for Qaddafi forces to open fire on unarmed protestors.

The government thanked Niger, in particular President Mahamadou Issoufou, for its co-operation in the extradition.

Niger had consistently refused to hand over the footballer-turned-supposed Salafist who fled to the country in September 2011 despite repeated Libyan requests for him and other members of the former regime who had fled with him.  It said the most it would do was hand him over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, although the ICC was not seeking him.

However, it became clear last month that views were changing in Niamey.  Three weeks ago, Niger handed over former Qaddafi Internal Security Chief, Abdullah Mansour.

Whether cash has been paid to secure Saadi’s delivery, as alleged in the surrender of other Qaddafi regime figures abroad, is unlikely ever to be disclosed.

However, it is also believed that Niger had become exasperated with him for not keeping to the terms of his remaining in the country, by staying put in the house provided to  him.  In January, the Niger government ordered him back to house arrest after Qaddafi supporters seized the Tamenhint airbase near Sebha and sporadic pro-Qaddafi protests elsewhere in the country, all of which Saadi was accused of organising. [/restrict]

Tags: extraditionfeaturedhuman rightsLibyanigerSaadi QaddafiSaif Al-Islam QaddafiTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

UNESCO holds seminars on digital broadcasting

Design for new half-dinar coin released

Design for new half-dinar coin released

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.