No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebu blockade stops arrival of election materials in south

byCallum Paton
June 25, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Ali Shaikhi, Osama Siala and Al-Aref Al-Khouja at HNEC headquarters (Photo Ahmed Elumami)
Ali Shaikhi, Osama Siala and Al-Aref Al-Khouja at HNEC headquarters (Photo: Ahmed Elumami)

Tripoli, 19 February 2014:

Tebus boycotting Thursday’s elections to the Constitutional Committee have blockaded the arrival of polling station material . . .[restrict]to Obari and Kufra, demanding guarantees for minorities within the framing of the constitution.

In a statement made in Murzuk, Tebu activists said they would not allow the material  to proceed in the towns unless the General National Congress (GNC) amended Article 30 of the Constitutional Declaration, allowing ethnic minorities to determine their own rights during the drafting of the constitution.

Speaking at a press conference at the headquarters of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) this evening, the head of the commission, Nuri Abbar, said HNEC would not cave to the pressure and “insisted on holding elections on time, on the big day”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Abbar told the Libya Herald that while HNEC was working hard to get the materials through, the commission would postpone elections in the two towns within 24 hours if all other options had been exhausted. He called upon his “Tebu brothers”  to cooperate with the HNEC and allow voting to go ahead unimpeded.

The head of the Ministry of Interior’s committee for elections security, Al-Aref Al-Khouja, said 40,000 members of the security forces would be deployed to secure polling stations across the country. He added that the Ministry of Interior would be working closely with the Ministry of Defence and the General Chief of Staff to ensure that voting took place in a safe environment.

The spokesman for the General Chief of Staff, Ali Shaikhi, said 12,000 soldiers had been put on alert to support the Ministry of Interior and deal with any security problems. He added that the Air Force would be transferring ballot boxes to remote areas.

The Minister of Communication, Osama Siala, said his ministry had provided HNEC with all necessary communication equipment, adding that the Ministry of Electricity had been asked to do their utmost to ensure power to all the election centres.

The Ministry of Transportation is to provide planes and an air ambulance in case of emergency. [/restrict]

Tags: blockadeelection materialsHNECLibyaminority rightsTebu

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Elections to go ahead in Kufra and Derna despite ongoing violence

Election fever for Libyans in America

Election fever for Libyans in America

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.