No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NFA official claims assassination attempt

byMichel Cousins
February 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 7 February 2014:

Abdulmajid Milaiqtah, the chairman of the National Forces Alliance’s . . .[restrict]steering committee, says that there was an attempt to kill him by guards at a checkpoint on Tripoli’s Airport Road yesterday evening while he was on his way to the Libya Al-Dawliya TV station. Speaking later to the TV station by phone, he said that guards insisted on checking his vehicle and then tried to arrest him. When he resisted, as many as 55 of them started firing, he said, “wounding two of my personal staff, one of who sustained serious injuries”.  

Reports of the assassination attempt have also been made on the NFA’s Facebook page.

The checkpoint guards were from the nearby headquarters of the Chief of General Staff (usually known as Arkan).

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

General Staff spokesman Ali Sheikhi, however, denied any such attempt. He said that Arkan guards at the checkpoint had stopped Milaiqtah and those accompanying him, admitted that the guards had overstepped their duties and there had been an altercation, but it had been sorted out. No one had shot at Milaiqtah, he insisted.

Later though, he said, five carloads of masked gunmen attacked the Chief of Staff headquarters and stole three armoured vehicles. 

Claims by General Staff sources that the attackers were from Zintan and members of the Qaaqaa Brigade, led by Abdulmajid’s brother Othman, and that they arrived in four-wheel drive vehicles mounted with anti-aircraft weapons, were not confirmed by Sheikhi. He told the Libya Herald, however, that some of the attackers were recognised as members of General Staff own forces.  Their identities were known and the military police were now investigating. 

The NFA, which says it no longer has its own headquarters,  supports an early dissolution of Congress and has rejected the “roadmap” voted by it which would see it remain in office, possibly until September 2015.  There have been unconfirmed claims that some elements in the General Staff office are allied to the Muslim Brotherhood which does not want an early dissolution.

The Qaaqaa brigade is part of the Libyan army and is used, among other duties, to provide protection to some government ministers. Othman Milaiqtah was reported to have fired shots outside the Congress building the day before yesterday when he arrived unexpectedly and was told that he could not see Congress President Nuri Abu Sahmain, who was having another meeting. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaNFA

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Supplies "blocked" from reaching Tebu community: report

Grand Mufti supports Congress remaining in office, forbids action against it.

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.