No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya destroys all useable chemical weapons

bythomwestcott
February 5, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Libya destroys all useable chemical weapons

(Photo: Tom Westcott)

By Tom Westcott.

(Photo: Tom Westcott)
International support was essential for the destruction of Libya’s usable chemical weapons, said Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdulaziz (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 5 January 2014:

Libya has disposed of all usable chemical weapons stockpiled by the old regime in an operation . . .[restrict]completed a few days ago, Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz announced yesterday.

The destruction of 517 artillery projectiles, eight 250kg aerial bombs loaded with mustard gas and 45 bomb components – plastic tubes filled with mustard agent – was the final stage of the disposal of an arsenal of chemical weapons. Many of these were previously undeclared munitions, discovered after the revolution and transferred to a storage facility in the south-central desert location of Ruwagha, some 700 kilometres outside the capital.

With this operation, Libya had fulfilled its international and regional commitments and removed a potential threat to local communities and the environment, Abdelaziz said. He thanked the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the US, Canada and Germany for their support. He also commended the Ministry of Defence which, he said, spared no effort in help with security and logistics.

RELATED POSTS

LISCO exports 27,000 tons of HBI to Germany – another 10,000 tons to be shipped to Italy

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“Without all this support, it would not have been possible to reach this milestone,” OPCW’s Director-General Ahmet Uzumcu said. Libya had set an example of success based on international co-operation which could be emulated by other countries, such as Syria, on a larger scale, he said.

“The destruction of these weapons was implemented precisely and accurately with careful safety measures and in accordance with international standards,” Abdulaziz said. “We were very pleased that the operation was conducted without any injury or damage.”

Destruction of the weapons was carried out at Ruwagha in a static detonation chamber, monitored by international inspectors with technical assistance from American experts. At the same site, Libya last year destroyed its stores of bulk mustard gas.

The operation was said to have been particularly challenging because the munitions were old and unstable. “When dealing with old munitions, different methods of destruction are required, because the process is very hazardous,” a spokesperson for OPCW told the Libya Herald. The machinery Libya had been using was installed and operating for some time, he said, so new equipment was required. This project was financially supported by Canada, he said, adding that it still took almost a year after the revolution to reinstall all the necessary infrastructure to prepare the facility for use.

US Ambassador Deborah Jones pointed out that it had been a really great week for Libya, likening the destruction of the chemical weapons to Libya’s football win, saying it was another goal scored. Abdulaziz picked up on the football metaphor and said that teamwork had led to the success of the operation.

Libya signed the UN Chemical Weapons Convention in 2004, immediately destroying a declared arsenal of 3,500 unloaded munitions with a bulldozer – a cheap, fast and reliable method of disposing of munition components, according to OPCW. However, there was then a hiatus of some six years, while the old regime waited for financial support from the international community. The was not forthcoming and eventually, in October 2010, work started on destroying chemical weapon agents.

This was suspended, however, when part of the destruction facility malfunctioned. When the 17 February Revolution broke out, just months later, the embargo placed on Libya meant the spare part could not be ordered.

“It was not the revolution itself, but rather the malfunction of the facility that stopped activities,” the OPCW spokesman said. After the revolution, OPCW inspectors found all electronic seals placed on the agent in February 2011 were still in place. From February 2012, efforts to resume destruction were restarted by the government.

The most recent operations have seen the destruction of all Libya’s Category 1 chemical agents. The country now has a deadline of December 2016 to destroy its Category 2 chemical precursor agents. [/restrict]

Tags: Canadachemical weaponsGermanyLibyaOPCWUS

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Breaking news: Six children injured in Benghazi school bomb attack

New quarter-dinar coin to be released for third anniversary of the revolution

New quarter-dinar coin to be released for third anniversary of the revolution

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.